Cookies on DVDActive
DVDActive uses cookies to remember your actions, such as your answer in the poll. Cookies are also used by third-parties for statistics, social media and advertising. By using this website, it is assumed that you agree to this.

Leaderboard Extra
1996 tapes of star wars

Forums - Discs & Movies - 1996 tapes of star wars 

20th June 2005 1:26  #1

Jay Thompson Member Join Date: June 2005 Location: United States Posts: 11
1996 tapes of star wars
Does anyone exactly know when they stopped releasing the original star wars on tape? Are the tapes released in 1996 with the black cover and darth vader on the front originals versions or remastered?

20th June 2005 2:52  #2

Cheddar J. Cheese Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 1,492
Discontinued because the Special Editions came out in 1997 representing Lucas' then vision (his vision is now the 2004 DVD edition). You can only get the originals on eBay on VHS or pirated DVD.

20th June 2005 3:17  #3

Jonny "Me You" Senior Member Join Date: March 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 2,863
"one, last time..."

I think 1995 is the last year. They come in a black case. The special editions followed in gold or silver in 1997 and there was a re-release to promote a prequel later in a white case.

If you still have your original black VHS you can pawn it off on eBay for about $100 Wink

I'm keeping mine for now.

20th June 2005 22:27  #4

rob murray Member Join Date: November 2004 Location: United States Posts: 477
i remember those were extremely hard to come by sometime after xmas 96, then in January ep4 was released in theatres so at that point people just gave up. I remember a local department store going out of business shortly after and picking up the set for about 12 bucks

22nd June 2005 12:13  #5

Eva Unit02 Member Join Date: June 2004 Location: New Zealand Posts: 634 Send a message via ICQ to Eva Unit02
Fans of the original cuts of the classic trilogy take a look at this:-
Link.

23rd June 2005 0:28  #6

Quote: Originally posted by Eva Unit02
Link.

how is that legal

24th June 2005 15:10  #7

Worst Nightmare Senior Member Join Date: July 2002 Location: Australia Posts: 6,704 Send a message via AIM to Worst Nightmare Send a message via ICQ to Worst Nightmare Send a message via MSN to Worst Nightmare Send a message via Yahoo to Worst Nightmare Send a message via Google to Worst Nightmare
Quote: Originally posted by Eva Unit02
Link.
Man, as soon as Georgy-boy has a wiff of this site, there would be lawyers a comin'!!!

27th June 2005 0:02  #8

Chris Gould Editor Join Date: May 2001 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 7,085 Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gould Send a message via MSN to Chris Gould Send a message via Skype to Chris Gould
From what I understand, they aren't breaking any laws as long as they don't distribute the films.

28th June 2005 23:16  #9

Quote: Originally posted by Chris Gould
From what I understand, they aren't breaking any laws as long as they don't distribute the films.

but from the looks of that site they seem to want to distribute

Quick Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?