Cookies on DVDActive
DVDActive uses cookies to remember your actions, such as your answer in the poll. Cookies are also used by third-parties for statistics, social media and advertising. By using this website, it is assumed that you agree to this.

Leaderboard Extra

Forums - Discs & Movies - 300 

12th March 2007 20:11  #1

Jersey Jedi Member Join Date: August 2004 Location: United States Posts: 714
While I haven't seen it myself yet (I'm heading up to the IMAX theater in NY tomorrow for it), I thought I'd start a train of thought on how unbelievably well it did domestically over the weekend. Personally, I'm most excited because this may result in Zack Snyder getting a bigger budget and an R-rating for his upcoming Watchmen adaptation.

Thoughts?

12th March 2007 21:30  #2

£ukasz D Member Join Date: August 2005 Location: Poland Posts: 859 Send a message via Skype to £ukasz D
i'm goin to see it on 23rd.....can't wait Happy

12th March 2007 21:38  #3

Tony DeFrancisco Senior Member Join Date: July 2005 Location: United States Posts: 2,652
It's brilliant! You guys will sure love it.

12th March 2007 23:22  #4

Tigerclaw Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: Canada Posts: 493 Send a message via MSN to Tigerclaw
The relentless bloodshed and the gimmicky action scenes quickly become exhausting.  The one good thing to come out of this mess is Gerard Butler, a mesmerizing Scottish actor despite what little he has to do

12th March 2007 23:24  #5

Anthony Tan Member Join Date: August 2005 Location: Singapore Posts: 62
All I can say is: Sin City version of Gladiator. And I love Sin City.

13th March 2007 1:41  #6

Gabe Powers Editor Join Date: September 2004 Location: United States Posts: 4,441 Send a message via ICQ to Gabe Powers
I was a bit dissapointed, but the only two shortcommings I can put my finger on are the super-unoriginal score and David Wenham's awful narration. Minus the narration all together I would've like the film a lot more. Sin City dealt with Miller's trite dialogue a lot better.

13th March 2007 3:13  #7

Edgeworth Member Join Date: July 2004 Location: United States Posts: 256 Send a message via AIM to Edgeworth Send a message via MSN to Edgeworth
I agree that the narration was bothersome, and I really hated the entire subplot with the queen character. I still think it was a very fun film, though.
I didn't even know Snyder was still behind a Watchmen adaptation, but I feel a lot better about it now.

13th March 2007 3:13  #8

agentofdoom Member Join Date: March 2007 Location: United States Posts: 56
I thought it was to over the top and just copied good war epics like gladiator,LOTR. The graphic novel is way better cutting out those phony looking monsters and chessy storyline with the queen.Some parts were cool but this director raped the original DAWN of the DEAD and still can't adapt stories orignally.I was so disappointed.I'd rather watch Alexander.

13th March 2007 15:09  #9

agentofdoom wrote: ..Some parts were cool but this director raped the original DAWN of the DEAD and still can't adapt stories orignally.

What??? The 'Dawn' remake was excellent. Probably the best horror remake in recent years.

Anyways... here's what I was talking about:
Snyder wants 150 mil for Watchmen

I hope her gets that much, but I'd say that is pushing it... especially with the R-rating. That's not saying I don't think the story could use a huge budget like that (and want it to get as much as it needs), but from a business perspective, it will NEVER make back 150 mil. theatrically.

13th March 2007 18:47  #10

Squeek81 Member Join Date: September 2006 Location: United States Posts: 150
I agree the narration was unnecessary, as well as the sub plot with the queen, but the action was incredible. The one scene shot from the side where it zooms in and out and he takes out like 12 guys one by one was really well done. Overall 7/10

14th March 2007 0:27  #11

I just got back from the IMAX theater... I am literally speechless. I have nothing to say... awesome....

Does anyone feel like battling?

14th March 2007 18:03  #12

agentofdoom Member Join Date: March 2007 Location: United States Posts: 56
that s**t with the baby zombie was lame.

14th March 2007 18:38  #13

Gabe Powers Editor Join Date: September 2004 Location: United States Posts: 4,441 Send a message via ICQ to Gabe Powers
Context is a good thing.

18th March 2007 8:43  #14

hossein Member Join Date: December 2005 Location: Iran, Islamic Republic of Posts: 104
the biggest and more powerfull empire of this movie's time shown as a piece of s**t in this Flick !!
any body know that persian empire was best !
liars ! liars ! liars !

18th March 2007 11:19  #15

demiscy Member Join Date: April 2006 Location: Cyprus Posts: 589
hossein.. I didnt know..
because it's not true :D :D

Get your facts right and stop this ethnic opinions in here!!!

18th March 2007 13:46  #16

hossein Member Join Date: December 2005 Location: Iran, Islamic Republic of Posts: 104
demiscy !
i appreciate this film for Visual Elements ! its Great !
but all of this beauty installed on Lie !
1 - all persians shown this film so ugly ! but Arians ( Persians Descent ) are from most beauty ones .
2 - Persians never dressed like arabians according to this movie ! arab at that time was nothing !!
3 - xerox had not like they shown in film . there is alot of his pics on PASARGAD walls and in greece too
4 - persains never was black , all the history says persians always was and are white !
is it enough ???

by the way check : http://300themovie.info/

and its not about ethnic opinions , this is History !!

18th March 2007 15:04  #17

£ukasz D Member Join Date: August 2005 Location: Poland Posts: 859 Send a message via Skype to £ukasz D
hey hossein.....it's good to have u here..so can talk our arguments in a nice way Happy

First of all u should remember IT IS JUST A FILM...this is not a historic documentary - so u realy should start to see differences betwen film and document.Happy

Second of all...i strongly belive that with Islamic IRan (as well as other islamic countrys) u are alwayes pissed of, always angry..almost like it was your job to be mad on everything and everyone.

And finaly....u talk about historic truth, facts...and in the same time -isn't it your country and your president who says that Holocaust, mordering of milions of Jews during WW is a mit, a made up story  ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

P.S. btw...i hope u will not blow uop my car after my post Happy

18th March 2007 15:30  #18

w£ukasz D , why you think like this ??
in all the history how many wars started with muslims ?
and only and only now ( in 2007 ) how many war is in action that started by non - muslims !
i'm not like fashists ! but come to respect each others !
and read more about history !
in my country in last 2 years more than 150,000 article was published for Holocaust , some positive some negetive !
but in europe when people talk about this and have negetive idea , they must go to jail ! like ....
and i know different between Doc and movie , but when somebody make a film about an happened event , you cant change it !
will you accept a historical movie about polish people and showed in that they has no dress and live like animals ?? huh ??
and finally remember in past century word face 2 big war ( world war I , II ) , you started them , europe ! japan , america ... and whole slamic country specialy my motherland was only a Victim !
now you judge yourself :

and in all religions and all descents there are both good and bad bodie !

18th March 2007 15:52  #19

Saying that WW was started by Europ is like saying all muslims are terrorists- which u and i know is not right.
As u know..it was starte by Hitler's Germany -and almost all Europ was victim of it..and belive me,in Poland we know about it so well.

"300" is not a historical movie..it's a comic book adaptation based on some historical events.

U say that in your contry there are different looks on Holocaust..but isn't it your beloved president who says it's a mit and Israel should be destroyed ??? and u cheer for hem like he is your God.

And u tell me..are there any, other the islamic, countrys that kill and fight in the name of RELIGION ?????????

18th March 2007 16:23  #20

1 - as i know in WW , france , england , germany , spain , russia ... are was involved but no , reapeat it again , no islamic country was ( as we both know )
2 - as exactly you said a comic book based on some historical events then it is piece of history as i said
3 - i hardly recommend you change your News Source my President is a man first ( like others ) and he never mit Holocaust ! his opinion and most of my people and alot of your Scintists is about number of victims and this fact that if germans kill jews in WW they cant kill muslims in lebonan , philistine and ... as the name of Isreal ! but will you accept in europe no one has aloowed to talk about Holocaust negatively ? sorry but like europes did with GALILEH ( who said earth is turning ) !!!!
and about cheereing for him like god ! its not true , we love him . any way i think its better than like mr. bush that people burn his Bushy Bush ! ( you must heard in South america countries nowadays )
and finally i forgot to say how you find my emotion from worlds ? are you mutant or something ?! i never was angry ! it is only a discuss and i preffer if you want it to continue and think i make mistake , made another threat to continue ...
with thanks !

18th March 2007 20:35  #21

people cheered for Husain in Iraq to...so u think he was good men ??????

From what i've seen and heard on TV...your president totaly negated  Holocaust..and what is more important..he screamed for destroying Israel as a country.

And by angry i ment your way of reacting to everything...look on the reactions on Pope's Benedict 16 speach abot Islamic religion..he just quoted some words form some Islamic book..and yet almost everyone in any Islamic Country wanted to kill him...for the words he just quoted (as i recal words of some muslim prophet)..but u don't care.

What i mean..and think is that ..more or less( i think more) Islam is religion of anger, hatred to any kind of freedom (religic, social), and what bothers me the most religion, that u kill for.

Thanks to you to Happy
As i should point out before..i will se "300" on friday..then we can talk more precisely..

18th March 2007 21:14  #22

1 - i must say that your news Source is a Bad source , i said my opinion about Holocaust and isreal before ! but if you want to force me to think like you said , its another topic !
2 - i think the difference between humans and plants is same reaction !
3 - about Pope's Benedict 16 , nobody wanna kill him , its all lie again , in my country all respect him and respect to all leaders ! and remember ! denmark and some other european country use bad words about ISLAM Prophet ! but has you ever heard same to Jesus ! to musha !
i respect jesus and musha and .... because they are leaders ! because this thing is forbidden in ISLAM !
4 - and anger in islam , its most funniest thing in this decade i heard ! if you read only 1 book about ISLAM , you wont say this , if you want i will let you to know ISLAM is all peace!
your opinion is because of bad advertise . and finally the whole tagline of ISLAM is " to live good " its not a difficult heavy mission !
i really wonder how you think about Islam . you cant ( i think ) talk about a religion only by TV news ! i read more than 3 book about christians that wrote by christians .
and inly remember when a muslim do a thing you cant direct it to islam ?! ok ?
finally im happy for conversation !
bye the way aginst " 300 " did you see " kingdom of heaven " ?

18th March 2007 21:33  #23

yes..i've seen "Kingdom of Heaven".....

and if u are suprised of my look at muslims...how can i have different view if i saw "9.11 NY", "Madrit", "London" etc. ..how can i think different if i saw people cheering on the streets (some Arabic city) after 9.11 happy of the death of 3000 innocent people ??????? (have u ever seen any catolics cheering about any deths in IRAQ)...sorry- but u work for your opinion in the world.

19th March 2007 7:33  #24

1 - i am not here to change your opinion ! you too ! people are respectfull because are creatures of GOD , no more thing !
2 - you really think that 9.11 was with muslims yet ?! i mean only ? i wasnt in United 93 Flight ! or in WTO towers but how you know this at this details ?? i never said muslims are angels and non - muslims are devils ! but you really need to change your view to ISLAM , and if you want i am at your service to help you ! and you help me too !
3 - i never saw any people cheer for 9.11 in any place ! what you think , we have some heart too !
then now first thing about ISLAM : 1 - you are not allowed to kill any people under any condition but if he/she be a danger to other men !
4 - and if you think muslims are some angry , dirty , always in pray people , what you say about size of crimes in ISlamic and non - ISLAMIC countris ? in alot of islamic places we take apart our shopes without close it to pray , and its safe , but can you ever imagin it ??
ISLAM ( not every muslim ) is whole piece of Peace !
and in kingdom of heaven that based on crusade wars ( most bloody war ) who started it all ?! wasnt it muslims accept terms when they was able to win !? this novel written by no muslim , screenplay with no muslim , directed with no muslim !
with thanks ...

19th March 2007 13:49  #25

i haven't sayed that all muslims were happy of 9/11 ..but u sayin u haven't seen..pleas let me show u just one example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ0bWEnW_WU ...ant there were many more.

And to point u what i thjink...don't get me wrong..i have nothing against islam - fact that i don't especialy like it dosen't mean i have something against it. But the main difference is that i have a freedom of choice..that catolics don't have any strict regulations set by theyr religion...we can belive it what ever we want - if we want to tern islamic-it is our chocie...if we wont to drop our religion it is our choice..and most important thing i posted before - we do not kill in the name of our religion and our God....
and pleas explain to me..how is it that in Iraq muslims kill muslims (theyr own people) in the so-called fight for freedom ?????
with thanks to Happy

19th March 2007 13:52  #26

Intergalactic Ponce Member Join Date: April 2005 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 1,151
I'll get me coat.

19th March 2007 15:51  #27

1 - first sorry , i cant open youtube files , i have same for 300 min clip of 300 too !
2 - but i wish i can find some pic of show how 1-year old childs killes by army of isreal ! a 1-year old child , if you put your finger to his mouth he cant bite you , what's his sin ?
and if any muslim cheered for killed people , they are not muslims ! only by name ! you will find more of them in other religions .
3 - no muslim allowed ( not dont ) kill people in the name of religion , history is full of examples that non - muslimes lives side by side of muslims with peace and muslims protect them .
4 - and in the time of same saddam ( who killed people of my country - iran - during war with bombs and guns that selled to them by europe and america ) was this condition , muslims killed muslims ? this is all aim of America government to sell guns to gain money , to steal oil , to show there is a natioanl war in IRAQ and they are Saviours !
i hope i answered to your question ! and i am ready for more my friend !

19th March 2007 16:25  #28

Chris Gould Editor Join Date: May 2001 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 7,107 Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gould Send a message via MSN to Chris Gould Send a message via Skype to Chris Gould
Right you two, cut all this religious/political stuff out. This isn't the place for it.

19th March 2007 17:25  #29

i alarmed befor ! sorry Mr. Editior!
£ukasz D , if you want to continue ?! we can do it via e-mail or something !
sorry again !

but this increase both my posts and view of this thread !!!

19th March 2007 17:48  #30

sure Chris..u're right...Happy

and hossein..if u can..contact me via msn. Happy (nick SphinX)
Page Number: [1] 2 3

Quick Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?