Cookies on DVDActive
DVDActive uses cookies to remember your actions, such as your answer in the poll. Cookies are also used by third-parties for statistics, social media and advertising. By using this website, it is assumed that you agree to this.
 
Leaderboard Extra
Are Movies getting too long?

Forums - Discs & Movies - Are Movies getting too long? 

1st June 2006 21:54  #61

stanton heck Member Join Date: June 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,098
What movie do you think was too long?

2nd June 2006 4:46  #62

Jersey Jedi Member Join Date: August 2004 Location: United States Posts: 714
stanton heck wrote:  Okay what movie do YOU think went on too long.  Please be polite. Please don't say "In her Shoes" the whole thing. I will set an example. "Rent". I enjoyed the movie however it should ended at the funeral. Yes it would of been different from the play but movies are  different.

Ok...here we go...

I'm a HUGE RENThead, from the original cast until now. I'm 8 min from the lincoln tunnel so i've see the play more times than I can remember (somewhere in the mid-double digits). Basically, I love everything about it.

Having said that, I love the movie as it is and cutting anything else out would really hurt the characters and, cutting at the funeral as you suggested, would ruin the entire message of the film. NOW, I read an early draft of the script that Spike Lee and, supposedly, Scorcese were going to film from and it is RADICALLY different from the play. But, understanding that film's a different medium and the story needs to be told differently, it completely and utterly works. In this, there are only a fraction of the musical numbers and many events are greatly changed, but I'd actually prefer seeing that version over the one that was produced.

To get back on topic, basically what I'm saying is that it all depends on the film on an individual basis. These two verions of Rent would have been adaptations of the same source material, but, telling the story different, would be different lengths.

I mean, would anyone consider cutting ONE FRAME out of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly? We don't NEED to see a dog cross the frame for a full 20 seconds or have 10 min. of editing build up to the one-shot final showdown. These are not integral to the story and could be considered to "pad" the length of the film, but it's moments like this that constructs the art that the artist is creating.

2nd June 2006 17:32  #63

Tricky Dicky Member Join Date: November 2004 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 121
I thought the reason King Kong failed was the fact that noone was interested in it at all. That and the fact that it did get fairly bad word of mouth from a lot of people. I have watched it 4 times now and I still can't find very much apart from the last 20 minutes that I would say is even remotely interesting or excellent. The storytelling is really bad, the acting is pretty woeful, the characters are really uninteresting, the editing is non-existant and the CGI (apart from Kong himself) is dreadful (though it does look better on the small screen) and it is just way too long.

To me it just looks like a real rush job. Like they just threw everything they shot in and hoped for the best. I would like to see a total re-edit of the film and lose, as someone else said, a lot of the bit characters that really add up to nothing, before they just disappear. Lose the bugs! Lose a lot of the 'falling for each other' garbage and tighten up the action sequences.

There is a great film in there trying to get out.

2nd June 2006 20:38  #64

Tony DeFrancisco Senior Member Join Date: July 2005 Location: United States Posts: 2,652
Tricky D**ky wrote: I thought the reason King Kong failed was the fact that noone was interested in it at all.Oh yeah, that 218 million made it seem like no one was interested in it at all.

3rd June 2006 2:35  #65

Adrian Senior Member Join Date: September 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,305
Tony DeFrancisco wrote: Tricky D**ky wrote: I thought the reason King Kong failed was the fact that noone was interested in it at all.Oh yeah, that 218 million made it seem like no one was interested in it at all.

$218 million is US alone.  Add $331 million overseas.

Nor the 84% ranking on Rotten Tomatoes or 7.8 rating on IMDB.

Personally, everyone that I know that saw King Kong loved it.

8th June 2006 19:59  #66

stanton heck Member Join Date: June 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,098
"Rent" was great I just thought they could of re-written it all with it ending at the funeral.  "King King" was not a bomb but it was hyped to become the #1 box office hit and overtake "Titanic".  "Titanic" did $600,000,000 and "Kong" just $218,000,000.  So in maney circles it is considered to be a big miss.  

8th June 2006 21:00  #67

Intergalactic Ponce Member Join Date: April 2005 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 1,151
Tricky D**ky wrote: I have watched it 4 times now and I still can't find very much apart from the last 20 minutes that I would say is even remotely interesting or excellent. The storytelling is really bad, the acting is pretty woeful, the characters are really uninteresting, the editing is non-existant and the CGI (apart from Kong himself) is dreadful (though it does look better on the small screen) and it is just way too long.

To me it just looks like a real rush job. Like they just threw everything they shot in and hoped for the best. I would like to see a total re-edit of the film and lose, as someone else said, a lot of the bit characters that really add up to nothing, before they just disappear. Lose the bugs! Lose a lot of the 'falling for each other' garbage and tighten up the action sequences.



The film is so bad in fact, that I've spent 12 hours of my life re-watching it just to verify how bad it actually is.

9th June 2006 19:50  #68

Tricky Dicky Member Join Date: November 2004 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 121
No I have been actually trying to find out why anyone thinks it's good! Though I must say I always skip the first 70 mins of it after my first full viewing of the whole film.

10th June 2006 15:01  #69

Intergalactic Ponce Member Join Date: April 2005 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 1,151
I have to admit there are a few bad films that I re-watch with the same criterea. What went wrong and why doesn't this work?

Off the top of my head, films like:
 
T3
MI:2

I know a lot of people like the above films and this is in no way meant to open the flood gates for people defending them. As always, it's just my opinion.
Page Number: 1 2 [3]

Quick Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?