Leaderboard Extra
Best Movies of 2005

Forums - Discs & Movies - Best Movies of 2005 

30th December 2005 1:16  #1

MMP Member Join Date: December 2005 Location: United States Posts: 53
Best Movies of 2005
Since I saw there was only a Worst Movies of 2005 list, I decided to start the Best of the year...

Serenity
Crash
The Island
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Pride & Prejudice
Fever Pitch
Red Eye
Fun WIth D**k & Jane
Mr and Mrs Smith
The Interpreter
Fantastic Four
Constantine
Must Love Dogs
Land of the Dead
Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants
Dominion
Elektra
Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical

30th December 2005 1:19  #2

Tony DeFrancisco Senior Member Join Date: July 2005 Location: United States Posts: 2,652
So what happened to films like War of the Worlds, Star Wars, Sin City, or Batman?

30th December 2005 1:21  #3

Tigerclaw Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: Canada Posts: 493 Send a message via MSN to Tigerclaw
Sin City is my top of 2005

30th December 2005 1:23  #4

MrFlix Member Join Date: December 2005 Location: United States Posts: 36 Send a message via AIM to MrFlix
These were my personal favorites of '05

Batman Begins
Cinderella Man
The Chronicles of Narnia
War of the Worlds
Constantine
Red Eye
Wedding Crashers
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I think '06 is shaping up nicely though as well:
Apocalypto, The Da Vinci Code, Miami Vice, X3, Superman Returns, Poseidon, M:I3 (has to be better than the second one), Pirates 2

30th December 2005 1:43  #5

£ukasz D Member Join Date: August 2005 Location: Poland Posts: 859 Send a message via Skype to £ukasz D
i thought you made it ..what was your ONE (1) favourite of 2005 Happy..but as long as you post whole list...there are mine :
-Constantine probably my top fav)
-Corpse Bride
-Danny the Dog
-Hostage (was a realy good movie + I like Willis a lot )

30th December 2005 4:17  #6

BoBoi Member Join Date: June 2005 Location: Australia Posts: 1,109 Send a message via MSN to BoBoi Send a message via Yahoo to BoBoi
Sin City
Batman Begins
Cinderella Man

and

hopefully...Walk the Line and Munich...

30th December 2005 4:17  #7

Adrian Senior Member Join Date: September 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,305
The Island one of the best.  Sorry, but that is too funny.  I recommend anyone that likes the Island to rent Clonus:  The Parts Horror.  The producers of that film have sued Michael Bay for ripping off their really bad movie.

Best movies:

Batman Begins
Broken Flowers
Cinderella Man
The Constant Gardner
The 40 Year Old Virgin
In Her Shoes
King Kong
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Sin City
Syriana
An Unfinished Life
Walk the Line
Wedding Crashers

30th December 2005 6:00  #8

Bob "the film man" Member Join Date: August 2005 Location: United States Posts: 258
My favorites of the year (in no particular order):

Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith
King Kong
Chronicles of Narnia The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

30th December 2005 15:02  #9

Mark Lim Member Join Date: March 2004 Location: Australia Posts: 1,211
O.K., so which movies would be a good buy on DVD for your collection?? Only movies already slated for release in December, January and Febuary please.

eg. Haven't seen "The Constant Gardener". Any good??

I've just bought your R1 "Wedding Crashers" and "Broken Flowers". Will watch "Broken Flowers" this weekend, after New year's.

30th December 2005 15:13  #10

Jonathan Bennett Member Join Date: March 2005 Location: United States Posts: 600 Send a message via AIM to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via MSN to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via Yahoo to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via Google to Jonathan Bennett
Capote
Grizzly Man
Enron
The Squid and The Whale
Kung Fu Hustle
A History Of Violence
Good Night, and Good Luck
Broken Flowers
Thumbsucker
Junebug

30th December 2005 15:14  #11

Jonathan Bennett Member Join Date: March 2005 Location: United States Posts: 600 Send a message via AIM to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via MSN to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via Yahoo to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via Google to Jonathan Bennett
Mark Lim wrote: O.K., so which movies would be a good buy on DVD for your collection?? Only movies already slated for release in December, January and Febuary please.

eg. Haven't seen "The Constant Gardener". Any good??

It's very good,
gets off to a slow start,
but it gets faster every scene.
Have you seen the director's other film, City of God?

30th December 2005 15:19  #12

Tony DeFrancisco Senior Member Join Date: July 2005 Location: United States Posts: 2,652
I didn't like the Wedding Crashers. I think I only laughed once and that was only a chuckle. But, I've seen far worst movies this year though, so it's not on my worst 10.

30th December 2005 23:16  #13

Edgeworth Member Join Date: July 2004 Location: United States Posts: 256 Send a message via AIM to Edgeworth Send a message via MSN to Edgeworth
The Constant Gardener
Broken Flowers
The Best of Youth
Inside Deep Throat
Oldboy
Wallace & Gromit
The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill

And a couple honorable mentions:
Dear Frankie
Squid and the Whale
Serenity
Nine Lives
Me, You, and Everyone We Know

31st December 2005 4:54  #14

Worst Nightmare Senior Member Join Date: July 2002 Location: Australia Posts: 6,706 Send a message via AIM to Worst Nightmare Send a message via ICQ to Worst Nightmare Send a message via MSN to Worst Nightmare Send a message via Yahoo to Worst Nightmare Send a message via Google to Worst Nightmare
Narnia for me.
I don't get out much nowadays Sad

31st December 2005 13:15  #15

Severnyia Member Join Date: December 2005 Location: United States Posts: 3
Sin City, Batman Begin, Oldboy, King Kong, Constantine, Kung Fu Hustle, A History of Violence.  All exceptional films.

4th January 2006 23:19  #16

Tigerclaw Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: Canada Posts: 493 Send a message via MSN to Tigerclaw
My top 10 of 2005:

Sin City
A History Of Violence
Capote
Brokeback Mountain
Batman Begins
Walk the Line
Serenity
Mr and Mrs Smith
King Kong

5th January 2006 0:08  #17

Aaron Schneiderman Senior Member Join Date: September 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,198
I doubt everyone has seen enough of the year end releases to make such a list. DVD releases are another thing however.

5th January 2006 0:21  #18

Aaron Schneiderman wrote: I doubt everyone has seen enough of the year end releases to make such a list. DVD releases are another thing however.

What are you talking about?

5th January 2006 4:03  #19

Adrian Senior Member Join Date: September 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,305
Aaron Schneiderman wrote: I doubt everyone has seen enough of the year end releases to make such a list. DVD releases are another thing however.

I'm not sure what you are talking about.  I've seen over 100 movies released in 2005 and there are just a few of the limited releases that I think could make my year end list.

5th January 2006 6:49  #20

Aaron Schneiderman Senior Member Join Date: September 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,198
Well, most of the contenders for Directors Guild, Writers Guild, Foreign Press and Academy honors are still in limited release and are not on DVD. Many of the best films of last year only opened at the tail end of 2005 as is almost always the case. I was just stating that many people probably have yet to see a number of last year's truly great films.

5th January 2006 7:19  #21

Of the films I have actually seen, the following would be included in my top ten films of 2005:

1.  Brokeback Mountain
2.  Capote
3.  Cinderella Man
4.  The Upside of Anger
5.  The Constant Gardener

Yet to see:

Mrs. Henderson Presents
Munich
The Producers
Memoirs of a Geisha
The World's Fastest Indian
Transamerica
Pride and Predjudice
The Family Stone
Rumor has It
March of the Penguins
The Squid and the Whale
Chronicles of Narnia

5th January 2006 14:54  #22

Unfortunately for those of us that live in smaller towns, some of the best movies never actually play in theaters.  Munich is opening tomorrow, but it doesn't look like I will get Brokeback Mountain or Capote in theaters.  We didn't get The Squid and the Whale either.  Those are the only smaller releases that look like they would make my list of best movies.

Rumor Has It was fairly disappointing for me.  I like the premise, but they really didn't do much with it.

5th January 2006 16:36  #23

Aaron Schneiderman wrote: Of the films I have actually seen, the following would be included in my top ten films of 2005:

1.  Brokeback Mountain
2.  Capote
3.  Cinderella Man
4.  The Upside of Anger

I doubt everyone has seen enough of the year end releases to make such a list. DVD releases are another thing however....wait a minute, that quote was already said.

5th January 2006 21:54  #24

rob murray Member Join Date: November 2004 Location: United States Posts: 477
wheres the Munich love? or Goodnight and Good luck for that matter?

6th January 2006 0:03  #25

Gabe Powers Editor Join Date: September 2004 Location: United States Posts: 4,473 Send a message via ICQ to Gabe Powers
Saw Munich this weekend. I thought it was great.

6th January 2006 0:30  #26

Tigerclaw wrote: Aaron Schneiderman wrote: Of the films I have actually seen, the following would be included in my top ten films of 2005:

1.  Brokeback Mountain
2.  Capote
3.  Cinderella Man
4.  The Upside of Anger

I doubt everyone has seen enough of the year end releases to make such a list. DVD releases are another thing however....wait a minute, that quote was already said.

I guess some people need everything spelled out for them. The point I was (expletive) trying to make is that without having seen what many critics have said are some of the best movies of 2005 it was difficult for me and I would bet a number of people across the country, to produce a list of the best of 2005. Many of those films are not in wide release. If you read (scroll up) instead of rushing to mock someone, you would figure out the point I was making. So I just made a list of the films that I have seen so far that I tfeel are AMONG the best of 2005. But it is by no means complete. Does that help you?

6th January 2006 0:47  #27

Aaron Schneiderman wrote: Tigerclaw wrote: Aaron Schneiderman wrote: Of the films I have actually seen, the following would be included in my top ten films of 2005:

1.  Brokeback Mountain
2.  Capote
3.  Cinderella Man
4.  The Upside of Anger

I guess some people need everything spelled out for them. The point I was (expletive) trying to make is that without having seen what many critics have said are some of the best movies of 2005 it was difficult for me and I would bet a number of people across the country, to produce a list of the best of 2005. Many of those films are not in wide release. If you read (scroll up) instead of rushing to mock someone, you would figure out the point I was making. So I just made a list of the films that I have seen so far that I tfeel are AMONG the best of 2005. But it is by no means complete. Does that help you?

I just wanted to f**k with you

6th January 2006 3:11  #28

It would be nicer if we had a date first  Wink

6th January 2006 15:14  #29

Mark Lim Member Join Date: March 2004 Location: Australia Posts: 1,211

I just saw RED EYE for the first time, ever, but on your R1 DVD.

Absolutely loved every minute of it. Can anyone tell me which movie this movie is similar to?? There is this other movie that was released in recent years that kind of had the same plot to this. A bit like the movie "Cellular" or "Speed". But I'm sure there's another movie like this.

Quick Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?