Leaderboard Extra
Blu-ray 1080p screen captures thread

Forums - Discs & Movies - Blu-ray 1080p screen captures thread 

27th January 2009 19:37  #1

Chris Gould Editor Join Date: May 2001 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 7,085 Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gould Send a message via MSN to Chris Gould Send a message via Skype to Chris Gould
Thought it might be nice to have a thread showing some of the 1080p screen captures that I have, seeing as we don't yet have the facility on the site. Feel free to post your own! Obviously they're not completely representative of BD quality because they've been saved in JPEG, but they should give you an idea.

Max Payne

I've tried to match the captures in our SD DVD review so you can compare.

More to follow...

Tropic Thunder

WALL-E

Clone Wars

Sin City

Iron Man

27th January 2009 21:05  #2

Nic Mall Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 1,202 Send a message via MSN to Nic Mall
Pirates of the Caribbean:

27th January 2009 23:08  #3

Chris Gould Editor Join Date: May 2001 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 7,085 Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gould Send a message via MSN to Chris Gould Send a message via Skype to Chris Gould
While that was actually quite funny, I'd like to try and keep this a serious thread for people who want to see HD screen caps.

28th January 2009 12:51  #4

Nic Mall Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 1,202 Send a message via MSN to Nic Mall
Sorry
*Hangs head in shame*

Could you put links to the movie's reviews / SD screens so it's quicker to see the difference?

Yes, I'm lazy and don't want to seach

11th January 2010 0:08  #5

Thought I'd resurrect this thread for a quick shot of the new Thirst BD.

12th January 2010 7:51  #6

hogaburger Contributor Join Date: April 2007 Location: United States Posts: 1,120 Send a message via AIM to hogaburger Send a message via Skype to hogaburger
Thanks for that.

I actually found a decrypter that works. Program was called DVDFab6. Let me rip my blu-ray and then I just dug up the m2ts file and opened it with WMP Classic and used Alt + PrtScn. Free and it doesn't look half bad. Here is a quick cap I did from Baraka. Will mess with this more later.

Of course, I screen capped it on fullscreen with my monitor that is 2048x1152, but it should still give you a good idea of how it looks at 1080 resolution.

12th January 2010 9:48  #7

That's similar to my work-flow, but I use different programs. Here's a tip: MPlayer. Does DVDFab not decrypt on the fly then?

12th January 2010 18:17  #8

hogaburger Contributor Join Date: April 2007 Location: United States Posts: 1,120 Send a message via AIM to hogaburger Send a message via Skype to hogaburger
Not sure what you mean by decrypt on the fly. I think with this method there really isn't any need for DVDFab. It seems like its more for copying from one blu-ray disc to another. I can just browse the disc and copy the m2ts files without using the program at all, and Media Player Classic will play them just fine. I'll take a look into MPlayer.

Here's some North by Northwest grabs:

Edit: Nevermind, I definitely have to use DVDFab or it won't render the files when I try to play them.

12th January 2010 18:41  #9

Hmm, those look a bit waxy to me, especially comparing similar shots. Take a look at this image (I hate linking to this site, but it's the closest match I could find).

By on the fly I mean decrypting directly from the disc. If you use Windows you want SMplayer for ease.

12th January 2010 19:02  #10

Yeah, I can see what you mean. I just ripped The Fall with DVDFab and its not looking quite as good as I remember it being on my PS3. Messing with the SMPlayer now, not having a lot of luck though.

12th January 2010 21:25  #11

Take a look at this.

5th February 2010 8:56  #12

Turned out DVDFab had a trial period. I found a free program called MakeMKV (http://www.makemkv.com/ ) that has absolutely no strings attached and doesn't appear to lose any video quality. I've been using it to rip blu-rays into huge MKV files, then using the steps from that MPlayer guide you linked to take screenshots from the MKVs. Works great.

Hurt Locker

Atonement

Universal did a pretty amazing job on this disc.

Fight Club

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Zombieland

Mother

Quick Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?