Leaderboard Extra
Crash (2004/2005) - My Review

Forums - Discs & Movies - Crash (2004/2005) - My Review 

29th July 2005 6:13  #1

E. Costigan Senior Member Join Date: January 2005 Location: Canada Posts: 1,026
Crash (2004/2005) - My Review
As promised, Crash delivers. The master behind this ride of twists, bumps, and turns is none other than Paul Haggis and although I liked his screenplay better in Million Dollar Baby, his writing in this film was powerful and his direction solidified it.

Just about the whole cast of this complex ensemble drama give a brilliant and powerful performance that adds to the film's intense atmosphere and Paul Haggis' screenplay deeply uncovers a sensitive subject in our everyday lives. As he tackles racist acts in L.A, the cast and crew bring them to life and many of the actors are well deserving to mention, such as Matt Dillon, Terrence Dashon Howard, and Don Cheadle.

The atmosphere and emotions demonstrated in the film are powerful enough to make you feel for just about all of the characters. Every single cast member adds to what the film needs. They always have something new to give in every scene, giving the film a very fast pace.

However, the film can come off too dark and subtle. Also, the film is just too damn coincidental and I can't imagine how all of these things could happen in a matter of two or three days. I also didn't understand the raw emotion by some of the characters but the screenplay eventually guides them to bright spots of the story. However, I liked the coincidence at the end of the film that the camera pans out of, and is instantly thought provoking.

Overall, Crash is a very complex and moving ensemble drama that has powerful acting and direction. It has a sensational screenplay that tackles the sensitive issue of racism and it does it justice. However, the film still has its share of problems. It and Cinderella Man definitely seem to be the Oscar front runners of the first half of 2005. For me, it currently ranks as #9 for the best of 2005 and I recommend it to anyone who wants to see a beautifully crafted ensemble drama or something new from the amazing writer of Million Dollar Baby, Paul Haggis.

My Rating: 9/10

Objectively - 9.5/10

Subjectively - 8.5/10

Eliason A.

29th July 2005 13:53  #2

Jonny "Me You" Senior Member Join Date: March 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 2,863
Someone's itching for a job Wink

29th July 2005 14:13  #3

- - Senior Member Join Date: March 2005 Location: Canada Posts: 594
At first, I thaught it was about that 1996 movie, which you have to crash you car and then have sex.

29th July 2005 16:52  #4

Tony DeFrancisco Senior Member Join Date: July 2005 Location: United States Posts: 2,652
September 6, 2005. I'm buying it!

31st July 2005 7:30  #5

I'd really like to see some DVDA specs.

1st August 2005 2:52  #6

Worst Nightmare Senior Member Join Date: July 2002 Location: Australia Posts: 6,706 Send a message via AIM to Worst Nightmare Send a message via ICQ to Worst Nightmare Send a message via MSN to Worst Nightmare Send a message via Yahoo to Worst Nightmare Send a message via Google to Worst Nightmare
Quote: Originally posted by Danny Boy
At first, I thaught it was about that 1996 movie, which you have to crash you car and then have sex.
I remember that one - what a weird film it was!

15th August 2005 22:45  #7

Jonathan Bennett Member Join Date: March 2005 Location: United States Posts: 600 Send a message via AIM to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via MSN to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via Yahoo to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via Google to Jonathan Bennett
Quote: Originally posted by Tony DeFrancisco
September 6, 2005. I'm buying it!

But buy the Widescreen version.
A Great film like this shouldn't be butchered.

15th August 2005 23:14  #8

Tony DeFrancisco Senior Member Join Date: July 2005 Location: United States Posts: 2,652
Quote: Originally posted by Jonathan Bennett
But buy the Widescreen version.

I will for sure buy it on widescreen version. I got a widescreen TV two weeks ago.

2nd September 2005 1:04  #9

I just got the movie. My videostore has movies to buy the Thursday before it comes out. I should watch it soon.

2nd September 2005 4:50  #10

Tom Pen Member Join Date: June 2004 Location: United States Posts: 142
Ill wait for the more elaborate version

2nd September 2005 4:52  #11

Yeah, guess it's coming out on Tuesday. I don't know if I'll buy it though. Actually, I've risen my rating for Crash to 9/10 now, so I better edit that.

Tony, do you have to pay extra to buy them early or are the owners running risks, or what's the deal there? Usually any store get films that early anyways but they don't sell them til Tuesday, right?

2nd September 2005 14:39  #12

Quote: Originally posted by Eliason A.
Tony, do you have to pay extra to buy them early or are the owners running risks, or what's the deal there? Usually any store get films that early anyways but they don't sell them til Tuesday, right?
It comes out the Thursday before it is released. But, Constantine was held back the Friday before. I only have to pay like 21.99. There's no risks and it's perfectly legal.

2nd September 2005 17:32  #13

Awesome. I know people who get DVDs about a month early, but it's not legal, and they have to pay like $30 CAN just for it. Not worth it. Just wait, Lol.

2nd September 2005 17:50  #14

My friend's dad works for on command and they get video tapes of movies like two months before they come out. I don't bother with them though. I'm pissed that they have Star Wars III before me though.

2nd September 2005 21:56  #15

Yeah, the problem with that is if it's too early, the DVDs aren't finished or the DVD arts change. Having Episode III right now though would be worth $30 though. Less than two months now.

3rd September 2005 0:29  #16

He has Fantastic Four, War of the Worlds... all kinds of movies that haven't come out yet.

3rd September 2005 7:02  #17

Yeah, well those films don't even have official specs yet, so that's why, I'd say. What exactly did you say your friend's dad was again? And you said they're tapes or DVDs?

My friend's cousin is in DVD security and he gets copys of films currently in theatres. Very Happy

3rd September 2005 13:42  #18

Quote: Originally posted by Eliason A.
Yeah, well those films don't even have official specs yet, so that's why, I'd say. What exactly did you say your friend's dad was again? And you said they're tapes or DVDs?
They're videotapes and he is an On Command guy. Ever go to like a luxury hotel with rent-in PPV? That's what it is.

5th September 2005 17:29  #19

Last night, I watched Crash. That film blew my mind. One of the best films of 2005 (next to Sin City, War of the Worlds, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory).

Quick Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?