Cookies on DVDActive
DVDActive uses cookies to remember your actions, such as your answer in the poll. Cookies are also used by third-parties for statistics, social media and advertising. By using this website, it is assumed that you agree to this.

Leaderboard Extra
Godzilla (1954) 2 disc set info.

Forums - Discs & Movies - Godzilla (1954) 2 disc set info. 

21st June 2006 2:29  #1

Manda of Mu Member Join Date: June 2006 Location: United States Posts: 458
Godzilla (1954) 2 disc set info.
I can't wait for this beauty!

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=...

21st June 2006 3:10  #2

Dustin Member Join Date: March 2006 Location: United States Posts: 553 Send a message via AIM to Dustin
I'm actually going to see a screening of the new print later this summer, pretty excited about it.

Never seen the original Gojira.

21st June 2006 5:15  #3

Its an amazing film, it is almost as if you are watching an entirely different movie since for Godzilla:King of the Monsters, the US producers cut out all the WWII references which really was the heart of the story (Godzilla was ment to represent the nuclear bombs dropped) because it was at a time where no one felt any sympathy for the bombing of Japan and to show a film in america basiclly saying "see what you did?" wasnt the greatest money maker, so they butchered it to hell, threw Raymond Burr in there, and turned it into another mindless radioactive monster on the loose flick.

22nd June 2006 6:28  #4

Specs:

Gojira/Godzilla double DVD technical specs and features:

Gojira (Godzilla)
•English subtitles
•Native HD master from 35 mm print
•Runtime: 95:59
•Black and White
•Aspect Ratio: 4X3
•Language: Japanese
•Single Sided DVD
•Commentary by Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski
•16 page booklet detailing the making of Gojira and the story of the film's  importation to the U.S.
•Original theatrical Trailer
•“Making of the Godzilla Suit” featurette
•“Godzilla: Story Development” featurette

Godzilla: King of the Monsters
•Single sided DVD
•Commentary by Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski
•Black and white
•Runtime: 78:59
•Aspect Ratio: 4X3
•Language: English
•Trailer

22nd June 2006 23:08  #5

Trap Door Member Join Date: January 2006 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 250
Very much like the R2 release except it doesn't have the US version.

1st July 2006 7:15  #6

I believe the R2 had a additional documentry on the 'Lucky Dragon', the fishing ship that got too close to the radioactive zone and killed many when the radioactive fish were brought back. Which was the inspiration behind Godzilla. I was REALLY hoping that would have been on it, its such a tragic story from what iv'e read.

1st July 2006 10:01  #7

rob murray Member Join Date: November 2004 Location: United States Posts: 477
count me in for this one, Native HD? you bet

17th July 2006 10:14  #8

The trailer for the DVD has been added to the website

http://www.godzillaondvd.com/

17th July 2006 14:25  #9

Adrian Senior Member Join Date: September 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,305
rob murray wrote: count me in for this one, Native HD? you bet

Exactly what does that do for a 4:3 movie?  Anyone else surprised that this is a 4:3 movie?  I know it was 1954, but I thought most movies that came out that year were widescreen.

17th July 2006 14:46  #10

IMDB says the aspect ratio of the film is 1.37:1.

17th July 2006 20:17  #11

The practice of matted widescreen, though pretty established in the US by 1956, didn't really catch on in Japan until much later.

18th July 2006 3:18  #12

Tigerclaw Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: Canada Posts: 493 Send a message via MSN to Tigerclaw
nice!

30th July 2006 6:12  #13

Incase anyone would like to know Classic Media is also releasing two other classic Godzilla flicks both featuring the American and uncut Japanese versions on November 7th.

MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA
US Version - 89 min
Japanese Version - 177 min

GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN
US Version - 78 min
Japanese Version - 160 min

Following that will be a box set containing the previous two plus Godzilla's Revenge, Ghidorah-the Three Headed Monster, Invasion of the Astro Monster (AKA Godzilla vs. Monster Zero), and Terror of Mechagodzilla, all featuring both US and Japanese versions. they will all be available seperate if you do not want to buy the whole set.

I heard a rumor though that the Japanese version of Terror of
Mechagodzilla might be cut as well because it containes nudity (Katsura's infamous breasts) as well as a suicide, but its only a rumor so take it as one.

30th July 2006 7:04  #14

Dustin Member Join Date: March 2006 Location: United States Posts: 553 Send a message via AIM to Dustin
Have they ever released Godzilla 1985? I loved that one, grew up watching it.

I think it's awesome that the upcoming MST3K vol.9 (or is it 10?) will feature a Godzilla episode. Def. getting it.

30th July 2006 13:23  #15

Really? I thought Godzilla was too high quality for them.

30th July 2006 14:23  #16

No, because the rights to 85' were brought to WB (I think, its jumped studios more times then I can count) after New World Pictures went out of business and they have no real interest in releasing it. Anchor Bay wanted to do a two disc set of both 85' and the japanese version 'Return of Godzilla' some years back but were never able to secure the rights again.

The Godzilla episodes on MST3K were all public domain back then, nowadays Toho wouldve sued the hell out of them. All of the public domain films reverted back to Toho in the mid to late 90's.

4th August 2006 5:52  #17

Here are some scans from the final product:
note:that orange label on the side is obviously removable, they are usually spotted on books in Japan.

4th August 2006 15:56  #18

Adrian Senior Member Join Date: September 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,305
Manda of Mu wrote: The Godzilla episodes on MST3K were all public domain back then, nowadays Toho wouldve sued the hell out of them. All of the public domain films reverted back to Toho in the mid to late 90's.

I didn't think this was possible under the current laws.  I thought once something was public domain, it remained public domain and couldn't be re-copyrighted.  Anyone know for sure?

Quick Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?