Leaderboard Extra
Happy New Year - 2008 What to look forward to

Forums - Discs & Movies - Happy New Year - 2008 What to look forward to 

1st January 2008 10:18  #1

Danny Storr Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 161
All the best for the new Year everbody...

Now whats there to look forward to Film wise in the next 12 months????

Indiana Jones
The incredible Hulk
That Pacino/De niro film (can`t remember whats it called)

I`ll return when I remember more...
what else are you guys looking forward to??

1st January 2008 13:27  #2

Tigerclaw Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: Canada Posts: 493 Send a message via MSN to Tigerclaw
The only movies so far that I'm looking forward in 2008 are:

The Dark Knight
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Happy New Year!

1st January 2008 21:25  #3

Andrewr05 Member Join Date: December 2007 Location: United States Posts: 172 Send a message via Yahoo to Andrewr05
Tigerclaw wrote: The only movies so far that I'm looking
The Dark Knight
Yea, those two look good...
Also:
Jumper
10,000 B.C.
Hancock (looks obnoxious, but it might be good)
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (Rachel Weisz will NOT be in this one sadly)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (remake, might be good, its science fiction and thats all thats matters)

2nd January 2008 3:48  #4

Cheddar J. Cheese Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 1,492
Danny Storr wrote:
That Pacino/De niro film (can`t remember whats it called.

Righteous Kill.

Personally, I'm looking forward to:

THE DARK KNIGHT
Shine a Light
Righteous Kill
Bond 22
The Incredible Hulk
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Sin City 2 (if it ever comes out)
Star Trek

And I'm sure more will pique my interest when they get closer to release.

And to Andrew, regarding The Day the Earth Stood Still... Not only will it almost certainly not be good, just the fact that it's science fiction (I think this will end up being more sci-fi than science fiction) won't be enough to save it. The general public won't be interested unless it's an all out sci-fi action SFX/CGI movie, the exact opposite of what the story really is (science fiction drama). And even if it's good, it's still going to be a "Hey, we need to stop global warming..." movie, which will make it be all "deep and meaningful" (read cheesy) for today's audience.

Although I will probably end up seeing it, I have very low expectations.

And Happy New Year to all!

2nd January 2008 4:26  #5

Andrewr05 Member Join Date: December 2007 Location: United States Posts: 172 Send a message via Yahoo to Andrewr05
Cheddar J. Cheese wrote: [quote=Danny Storr wrote]
Not only will it almost certainly not be good, just the fact that it's science fiction won't be enough to save it. The general public won't be interested unless it's an all out sci-fi action SFX/CGI movie, the exact opposite of what the story really is (science fiction drama). And even if it's good, it's still going to be a "Hey, we need to stop global warming..." movie, which will make it be all "deep and meaningful" (read cheesy) for today's audience.
Yea that makes sense but I'll still watch it as well.
Consumers have a tendency to over complicate movie plots as you said, it just makes me shake my head in disbelief when I read some of the stuff on IMDB forums (I'm sure you know what I mean).

Some people just can't appreciate a good looking movie with a nice story, ALL movies don't have a "deeper meaning", some are meant to just be a good damn movie to sit and watch...

Oh yea CLOVERFIELD seems like a good movie despite not really knowing what its about.

2nd January 2008 4:49  #6

IMDb, you will never find a more retched hive of scum and villainy. Tongue  Worry not, I know exactly what you mean.

Well, the original is one of the classics, a great science fiction. What I fear is that the remake will be an entertaining "fluff" movie, but then at the end try to be all meaningful and deep.

Cloverfield is going to be a monster (pardon the pun) disappointment. It's been overhyped, and I think that when people see it, they'll laugh and be reminded of "War of the Worlds". But again, I will see it.

2nd January 2008 19:03  #7

Gunsprout Member Join Date: March 2006 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 171
I'm quite looking forward to Iron Man. And they've started the adverts for Jumper on TV with "Coming Soon".

Oh yeah, and I'm not touching The Day the Earth Stood Still with a barge pole! I watched the original  War of the Worlds the other day and realised how totally rubbish the Tom Cruise version was! I'm expecting the same with this remake...

2nd January 2008 19:44  #8

Well, I happened to really like "War of the Worlds". And people b***hed about it for the wrong reasons.

3rd January 2008 0:50  #9

Sam Spade Member Join Date: January 2007 Location: United States Posts: 2,032 Send a message via MSN to Sam Spade
I'm looking forword to:

THE DARK KNIGHT
Bond 22
Sin City 2
Spielberg/Hanks HBO Pacific series
10,000 B.C
Tree Of Life (I love Malick films)
Wall-E (Pixar can do no wrong)
Valkyrie
Spielbergs Lincoin film (although it'll probubly come 09)
The Dutchess( I'm a sucker for period flicks)
Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo
Leatherheads

3rd January 2008 1:08  #10

Cheddar J. Cheese wrote: IMDb, you will never find a more retched hive of scum and villainy. Tongue  Worry not, I know exactly what you mean.I'm not alone then, I would assume that most people on here agree...
Cheddar J. Cheese wrote: Cloverfield is going to be a monster (pardon the pun) disappointment. It's been overhyped, and I think that when people see it, they'll laugh and be reminded of "War of the Worlds". But again, I will see it.It does look kind of corny but I might like it, ya never know?
As for "War Of The Worlds" I didn't think that movie was that bad, of course it could have been A LOT better but in all it wasn't horrible.
Gunsprout wrote:  And they've started the adverts for Jumper on TV with "Coming Soon". Jumper looks pretty good, nice unique ideas for a change...

3rd January 2008 1:23  #11

Sam Spade wrote: Spielbergs Lincoin film (although it'll probubly come 09)

It looks like it, since "The Trial of the Chicago 7" seems to be his next project. Plus it doesn't hurt that it's the Lincoln bicentennial.

Wall-E looks good, add that to the list up there.
I forgot about Harold and Kumar... Wasn't it H&K Go to Amsterdam? I thought that the poster was just a joke given the trailer... But yeah, that's on the list as well.

Ansrewr05 wrote: It does look kind of corny but I might like it, ya never know?
As for "War Of The Worlds" I didn't think that movie was that bad, of course it could have been A LOT better but in all it wasn't horrible.

Of course, to me, it just seems like it can go either way (brilliant and adored by all, or laughed and and flop).

I won't disagree, WotW is a flawed film. And it could've been much better. BUT, it's still much, much better than people let on.

3rd January 2008 2:23  #12

New want to see's:
City of Ember
Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Forbidden Kingdom
The Incredible Hulk
Valkyrie (looks pretty bad ass)

3rd January 2008 3:54  #13

Jersey Jedi Member Join Date: August 2004 Location: United States Posts: 714
Iron Man and The Dark Knight, 100%

Plus, ya know.... 'Lost' comes back.

3rd January 2008 18:55  #14

Gunsprout Member Join Date: March 2006 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 171
Just read reviews of Jumper and AvP2 and they've both been rubbished... I'm still going to watch them tho!

4th January 2008 7:10  #15

GRZA Member Join Date: December 2005 Location: United States Posts: 89
Cloverfield
Be Kind Rewind
My Blueberry Nights
The Signal
Semi-Pro
The List
Iron Man
Indiana Jones/Kingdom Crystal Skull
Forgetting Sarah Marshall (Dumped)
Watchmen
Mongul
The Happening
The Incredible Hulk
Wall-E
Hellboy 2/Golden Army
Valkyrie
The Dark Knight
Step Brothers
The Pineapple Express
Punisher: War Zone
Bond 22
Harry Potter 6/Half Blood Prince
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Day the Earth Stood Still

9th February 2008 16:31  #16

Tigerclaw Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: Canada Posts: 493 Send a message via MSN to Tigerclaw
Tigerclaw wrote: The only movies so far that I'm looking forward in 2008 are:

The Dark Knight

Happy New Year!

I guess I have a new list

2008-2009:

The Dark Knight
The Forbidden Kingdom
James Bond: Quantum of Solace
Star Trek XI
10,000 B.C.
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
The Punisher: War Zone
Hellboy 2: The Golden Army
Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins

14th February 2008 15:09  #17

Cervantes Member Join Date: November 2006 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 172
The just released trailer for 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' is one of the best trailers ever...

See it at:-   www.indianajones.com

14th February 2008 17:22  #18

Chris Gould Editor Join Date: May 2001 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 7,126 Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gould Send a message via MSN to Chris Gould Send a message via Skype to Chris Gould
For me, the most exciting bit of the trailer was the clips from the original films. I'm really hoping it's not going to be c**p.

14th February 2008 19:45  #19

Nic Mall Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 1,202 Send a message via MSN to Nic Mall
They do look amezin' in HD

14th February 2008 20:04  #20

Tigerclaw wrote: Tigerclaw wrote: The only movies so far that I'm looking forward in 2008 are:

The Dark Knight

Happy New Year!

I guess I have a new list

2008-2009:

The Dark Knight
The Forbidden Kingdom
James Bond: Quantum of Solace
Star Trek XI
10,000 B.C.
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
The Punisher: War Zone
Hellboy 2: The Golden Army
Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins

Just want to add:

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
Street Kings
Valkyrie
Wall-E

Quick Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?