Leaderboard Extra
Harry Potter 4 takes in 100 Million!

Forums - Discs & Movies - Harry Potter 4 takes in 100 Million! 

20th November 2005 20:48  #1

Adam K Member Join Date: September 2005 Location: United States Posts: 247
Harry Potter 4 takes in 100 Million!
Not that this is any big shock or anything, but the box office estimates just came in and HP4 took in $101.7 million, beating out the previous three films and becoming the 4th biggest weekend opening EVER. However, that makes it look like Walk The Line flopped, since it came in at number 2 with only $22 million. lol. But still, I'm glad HP4 did well, I was hoping it would, and Fox shouldn't have been stupid enough to put Walk the Line on this weekend anyways. LOL, well, just thought you people might like to know. Wink

20th November 2005 21:00  #2

Fernando G. Banned Join Date: February 2005 Location: United States Posts: 347
cool!!!!!!!!!!!!

20th November 2005 22:22  #3

Tony DeFrancisco Senior Member Join Date: July 2005 Location: United States Posts: 2,652
Still not as much as Star Wars. I didn't expect Walk the Line to be that average against Harry Potter. Thinking it would make like 10 - 19 mil.

20th November 2005 22:38  #4

Yah, it wasn't as much as Star Wars, but it was pretty darn close and that's really good considering how horrible the box office does these days.

20th November 2005 23:18  #5

Tony DeFrancisco Senior Member Join Date: July 2005 Location: United States Posts: 2,652
Next big films are King Kong, Chronicles of Narnia, and Cheaper by the Dozen 2 (original remake did great in the box office).

20th November 2005 23:37  #6

Jude Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 26 Send a message via MSN to Jude
Has any1 seen it? I loved it. It's so much more adult than the rest. Which is good considering I\'m not a kiddy person. There were more adults than kidsin the cinema. Totally sold out the opening weekend of our local cinema. Have to say though nearly died when ron told harry to p!ss off. Totally unexpected lol.

20th November 2005 23:38  #7

Jude wrote: Has any1 seen it? I loved it. It's so much more adult than the rest. Which is good considering I\'m not a kiddy person. There were more adults than kidsin the cinema. Totally sold out the opening weekend of our local cinema. Have to say though nearly died when ron told harry to p!ss off. Totally unexpected lol.

Seein it Tuesday and cannot wait. Glad to hear its so good and more adult. I like that kind of thing.

20th November 2005 23:42  #8

Jude wrote: Have to say though nearly died when ron told harry to p!ss off. Totally unexpected lol.Sounds like my kind of movie.Wink

I'll see it Thursday night.

20th November 2005 23:50  #9

Dizagaox Member Join Date: September 2003 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 648
I wouldn't say 'Walk the Line' was a flop - it made $22 million for God's sake, lol.

Most studios would kill for a No. 1 film with that much weekend intake (of similar genre), let alone a second spot place.

20th November 2005 23:52  #10

Dillan Gandhi wrote: I wouldn't say 'Walk the Line' was a flop - it made $22 million for God's sake, lol.It's not a flop, but when you compare it to Harry Potter, yeah... I'd call it a flop.

20th November 2005 23:52  #11

Dillan Gandhi wrote: I wouldn't say 'Walk the Line' was a flop - it made $22 million for God's sake, lol.

Most studios would kill for a No. 1 film with that much weekend intake (of similar genre), let alone a second spot place.

Yah, I know. I wasn't saying WALK THE LINE *was* a flop. I said, having HP4 make 101 million made it *look* like a flop.

21st November 2005 0:35  #12

Worst Nightmare Senior Member Join Date: July 2002 Location: Australia Posts: 6,706 Send a message via AIM to Worst Nightmare Send a message via ICQ to Worst Nightmare Send a message via MSN to Worst Nightmare Send a message via Yahoo to Worst Nightmare Send a message via Google to Worst Nightmare
Tony DeFrancisco wrote: Dillan Gandhi wrote: I wouldn't say 'Walk the Line' was a flop - it made $22 million for God's sake, lol.It's not a flop, but when you compare it to Harry Potter, yeah... I'd call it a flop.I don't know if I would call it a flop - I don't think Walk the Line cost $140 million to make....

21st November 2005 0:59  #13

Worst Nightmare wrote: I don't know if I would call it a flop - I don't think Walk the Line cost $140 million to make....Yeah, but Walk the Line will be nominated for several academy awards, which as Goblet of Fire will be nominated for maybe one or two.

21st November 2005 15:18  #14

Mark Lim Member Join Date: March 2004 Location: Australia Posts: 1,211
I'm still waiting to see this. I've already requested a night off work to see this when it premieres on Thursday Dec 1st in Australia.

21st November 2005 16:28  #15

Jonathan Bennett Member Join Date: March 2005 Location: United States Posts: 600 Send a message via AIM to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via MSN to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via Yahoo to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via Google to Jonathan Bennett
I had a double feature of this and Jarhead yesterday.
Both were great, but I slightly prefered Jarhead.

21st November 2005 20:43  #16

sketchartist Member Join Date: September 2005 Location: United States Posts: 14
Goblet of Fire was great. To me, this is the best of the Potter movies. Can't wait for Kong and Narnia!

23rd November 2005 4:16  #17

Keith Member Join Date: June 2005 Location: United States Posts: 221
not to be a bug Adam K, but why does one get excited about how much a movie makes, unless your getting some kind of royalty?  Movies are too expensive as it is, and their billions they make certainly puts my low income life into perspective.

23rd November 2005 6:15  #18

Bob "the film man" Member Join Date: August 2005 Location: United States Posts: 258
David Faught wrote: Goblet of Fire was great. To me, this is the best of the Potter movies. Can't wait for Kong and Narnia!

I full heartedly agreen with you on that one.

23rd November 2005 22:28  #19

Keith Bear wrote: not to be a bug Adam K, but why does one get excited about how much a movie makes, unless your getting some kind of royalty?  Movies are too expensive as it is, and their billions they make certainly puts my low income life into perspective.

Well sorry to have bugged you, Keith, but I thought some people might want to know. I personally like knowing how much a film makes, I dunno why, but I do. So I was just posting in case others wanted to know.

24th November 2005 4:17  #20

Keith Member Join Date: June 2005 Location: United States Posts: 221
Adam K wrote: Keith Bear wrote: not to be a bug Adam K, but why does one get excited about how much a movie makes, unless your getting some kind of royalty?  Movies are too expensive as it is, and their billions they make certainly puts my low income life into perspective.

Well sorry to have bugged you, Keith, but I thought some people might want to know. I personally like knowing how much a film makes, I dunno why, but I do. So I was just posting in case others wanted to know.

I didn't intend to put you on the defensive.  Since that is something you enjoy, I'm happy for you...keep on truckin.  I just was wondering what the excitement is about it.  I guess its something they get people hooked on.  Its in the news all the time, it must just be more movie hype to get people interested.

24th November 2005 7:46  #21

deadhate Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: United States Posts: 6
Dillan Gandhi wrote: I wouldn't say 'Walk the Line' was a flop - it made $22 million for God's sake, lol.

That is a big flop. Come on SAW 2 alone made atleast $50 mill opening weekend. And that unheard of for any new horror movie.

One the subject of Harry Potter-Bloody awesome. The best yet can't wait for the next installment in '07. Belongs with the likes of Star Wars(Ep. 4-6)and Lord of the Rings.

24th November 2005 13:23  #22

deadhate wrote: That is a big flop. Come on SAW 2 alone made atleast $50 mill opening weekend. And that unheard of for any new horror movie.It made 30 million opening weeking in the US

25th November 2005 6:08  #23

deadhate Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: United States Posts: 6
Tony DeFrancisco wrote: deadhate wrote: That is a big flop. Come on SAW 2 alone made atleast $50 mill opening weekend. And that unheard of for any new horror movie.It made 30 million opening weeking in the US

Still better than Walk the Line.

25th November 2005 16:10  #24

Worst Nightmare Senior Member Join Date: July 2002 Location: Australia Posts: 6,706 Send a message via AIM to Worst Nightmare Send a message via ICQ to Worst Nightmare Send a message via MSN to Worst Nightmare Send a message via Yahoo to Worst Nightmare Send a message via Google to Worst Nightmare
How much did Walk the Line actually cost to make? This would be the only way to see if it was a flop or not...

25th November 2005 16:13  #25

Walk the Line will make a lot of money come Oscar time.

27th November 2005 20:03  #26

Harry Potter made 55 million this 3 day weekend, it also passed the 200 million mark. Also, Walk the Line passed 50 million this weekend.

27th November 2005 21:40  #27

Well, you used two completely different tallies there, Tony. I just read up on this, and HP4 made $55mil on the 3-day weekend, with $84mil since Monday. Walk the Line got 50$mil all week, with $19mil this weekend.

Still, I think it's good HP4 is doing good with the PG-13 rating. That means Warner Bros. won't be so scared with 5, 6, and 7.

27th November 2005 23:01  #28

Adam K wrote: Well, you used two completely different tallies there, Tony. I just read up on this, and HP4 made $55mil on the 3-day weekend, with $84mil since Monday. Walk the Line got 50$mil all week, with $19mil this weekend.

Still, I think it's good HP4 is doing good with the PG-13 rating. That means Warner Bros. won't be so scared with 5, 6, and 7.
No, it means all of the gross put together. Walk the Line made 55 mil since it was released.

29th November 2005 17:30  #29

Adrian Senior Member Join Date: September 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,305
Worst Nightmare wrote: How much did Walk the Line actually cost to make? This would be the only way to see if it was a flop or not...

IMDB lists Walk the Line's budget at 40 million.  Since it has made $50 million already and has yet to see an international release (and should do well internationally), I'd hardly call it a flop.  I suspect a few Oscar nominations and this film could be quite a box office return.

4th December 2005 21:15  #30

Again, Harry Potter made 1st. This time though it made 20 million.
Page Number: [1] 2

Quick Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?