Leaderboard Extra
HD DVD player under $100?!?

Forums - Discs & Movies - HD DVD player under $100?!? 

1st November 2007 18:21  #1

Franchise Member Join Date: March 2006 Location: United States Posts: 294 Send a message via AIM to Franchise Send a message via MSN to Franchise Send a message via Yahoo to Franchise
HD DVD player under $100?!?
I'm not sure if this is the proper place to put this, but what the hell.  Or heck if the censor function kills the other word. If you go to walmart.com, they're having a secret sale starting at 8am tomorrow on 5 or 6 sale items.  If you're like me, you're staring at the A2 they have on sale for $99.  I'm not calling the HD war over by any means, but for something that cheap, I'd call that a good shot at ending it.  BR players are still expensive and if they don't start slashing prices soon, most people could be going to HDDVD.

1st November 2007 19:50  #2

jmcclane 88 Member Join Date: September 2006 Location: Ireland Posts: 466
I'm going to wait for the (don't know the exact name) LG Multi Blu Player. Basically it play both HD and Blu-Ray discs. Wait for the price to come down a tad then I'll go for that.

1st November 2007 21:29  #3

Squeek81 Member Join Date: September 2006 Location: United States Posts: 150
This price is to get rid of the supply of A2's because Toshiba is coming out with a newer model, the A3 i think. But good luck to anyone trying to take advantage of this price as it has been all over the net today, and when supplys are gone thats it, and i dont think Wal mart stocks many of these.

I think best buy is having this sale as well.

1st November 2007 21:55  #4

Nic Mall Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 1,202 Send a message via MSN to Nic Mall
jmcclane 88 wrote: I'm going to wait for the (don't know the exact name) LG Multi Blu Player. Basically it play both HD and Blu-Ray discs. Wait for the price to come down a tad then I'll go for that.

Good idea if the player were any good. Read somewhere it's quite c**ppy.
I'd wait for Samsung's attempt.

1st November 2007 22:23  #5

Jersey Jedi Member Join Date: August 2004 Location: United States Posts: 714
Honestly, if there was a legitimately well made HD-DVD player that somehow retailed for 100 bucks, I'd give up my hopes that Blu-Ray would become the HD standard and just buy the motherf**ker. At that point, it's barely an investment, so I'd be down for it.

1st November 2007 22:40  #6

Matt Contributor Join Date: October 2004 Location: United States Posts: 2,113
Nic Mall wrote: jmcclane 88 wrote: I'm going to wait for the (don't know the exact name) LG Multi Blu Player. Basically it play both HD and Blu-Ray discs. Wait for the price to come down a tad then I'll go for that.

Good idea if the player were any good. Read somewhere it's quite c**ppy.
I'd wait for Samsung's attempt.

Main problem with it is it's really a Blu-ray player that is capable of playing HD DVD content as an after thought. For example it is not capable of the interactive features such as the 'In-Movie Experience' that HD DVD currently offers over Blu-ray.

1st November 2007 22:45  #7

Chris Gould Editor Join Date: May 2001 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 7,126 Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gould Send a message via MSN to Chris Gould Send a message via Skype to Chris Gould
Is that the existing one or the BD-UP500?

1st November 2007 23:24  #8

Chris Gould wrote: Is that the existing one or the BD-UP500?
The existing one; the upcoming models from Samsung and LG supposedly have support for both BD Java and HDi features, though just how well either will work remains to be seen.

1st November 2007 23:44  #9

Bob "the film man" Member Join Date: August 2005 Location: United States Posts: 258
jmcclane 88 wrote: I'm going to wait for the (don't know the exact name) LG Multi Blu Player. Basically it play both HD and Blu-Ray discs. Wait for the price to come down a tad then I'll go for that.

Actually at the local Best Buy it is cheaper to buy a seperate Blu-Ray and an HD-DVD player by about $200.

2nd November 2007 1:26  #10

Chris Gould Editor Join Date: May 2001 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 7,126 Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gould Send a message via MSN to Chris Gould Send a message via Skype to Chris Gould
Matt wrote: The existing one; the upcoming models from Samsung and LG supposedly have support for both BD Java and HDi features, though just how well either will work remains to be seen.

Yeah, I read the Samsung will also be profile 1.1 compatible, but again not sure I trust a combo player. I guess as the technology matures they'll be okay, but I want 5th gen at least.

2nd November 2007 13:08  #11

Cervantes Member Join Date: November 2006 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 172
I think todays thoughts on 'thedigitalbits.com' sums up best this latest desperate attempt by a HD-DVD manufacturer to offload it's unsold stock...

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

2nd November 2007 14:08  #12

I managed to get one this morning at Wal-Mart. They were sold out by 8:10 here, and it seems to me they had quite a few in stock to sell. Bought it mainly so as to have an upconverting player in the bedroom, but there are free discs involved too that are worth more than the price of the player at $99.99.

Did read Bill Hunt's writeup last night, and I'd have to agree with him too. It'll be interesting in what way things will go after software sales are tallied after Christmas.

2nd November 2007 15:25  #13

Franchise Member Join Date: March 2006 Location: United States Posts: 294 Send a message via AIM to Franchise Send a message via MSN to Franchise Send a message via Yahoo to Franchise
I got one and there were so many still left.  I don't mind that I don't have a HDTV (yet), but who really cares.  Happy

Quick Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?