Leaderboard Extra
If Dvd were $14.95 or less would you buy more?

Forums - Discs & Movies - If Dvd were $14.95 or less would you buy more? 

21st March 2006 21:28  #1

stanton heck Member Join Date: June 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,098
If Dvd were $14.95 or less would you buy more?
If every new DVD release  came out with a price point of $14.95 or less would you buy more movies?  As for myself I would buy more!  I would buy movies that I would of rented! I buy about 12-16 a month. I would then buy another 4-5 but most likely more.  How about you?

21st March 2006 21:38  #2

David White Member Join Date: March 2004 Location: United States Posts: 217 Send a message via AIM to David White Send a message via ICQ to David White Send a message via MSN to David White Send a message via Yahoo to David White
its not a question of price, but quality.  like it may be a new release that retails 35 or 40 like walk the line (i personally was very disapointed by the lack of features on the releases second disk when you considered the price tag)

21st March 2006 23:01  #3

Aaron Schneiderman Senior Member Join Date: September 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,198
In my area most new releases are $14.99 the first day at Fry's Electronics. Another inexpensive source is Columbia House. After you fulfill the membership requirements, you get 50% off everything you buy after you pay full price (of equal or greater value) for one. I will usually get a boxed set which in most cases are cheaper than retail and I get my new releases from Columbia for as low as $10.98. I have been picking up all the two-disc special editions from Warner at that unbelievable price. The only drawback about Columbia House is that they don't carry 20th Century Fox or Disney titles.

21st March 2006 23:45  #4

Tigerclaw Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: Canada Posts: 493 Send a message via MSN to Tigerclaw
yes

22nd March 2006 1:18  #5

Matt Contributor Join Date: October 2004 Location: United States Posts: 2,113
If you aren't already paying close to $14.95 or less you're shopping in the wrong places.

22nd March 2006 2:03  #6

Cheddar J. Cheese Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 1,492
Matt wrote: If you aren't already paying close to $14.95 or less you're shopping in the wrong places.

Where do you shop?

22nd March 2006 12:23  #7

Chris Gould Editor Join Date: May 2001 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 7,120 Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gould Send a message via MSN to Chris Gould Send a message via Skype to Chris Gould
There are only so many films I can watch (or want to watch) and I've probably exceeded that limit already. I have really cut back on my buying nowadays. I probably buy one a month on average, although I might go for a few months without anything then get two or three.

I've got around 500 discs and I reckon that if really pushed I could get it down to a hundred or less. That said, it's my hobby and 'd rather be spending the money on DVDs than going to the pub every night, gambling and prostitutes... Well, maybe.

22nd March 2006 16:43  #8

floyd dylan Banned Join Date: April 2004 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 913
I think if push come to a shove I could easily do the same, and whittle them down, and only keep the films that I really really like.

Nowadays I've been mainly buying films from the 70s and 80s, I've hardly bought any 00s films, as they've nearly all been mediocre, for some reason there were great storytellers and directors in the 70s and 80s.

Even the Chuck Norris films are way better than the blockbuster action films of today, and the best action director has to be Walter Hill, he's done a lot of cool films back in his heyday.

22nd March 2006 19:33  #9

Donnie_Darko Banned Join Date: January 2006 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 352
floyd dylan wrote: I think if push come to a shove I could easily do the same, and whittle them down, and only keep the films that I really really like.

Nowadays I've been mainly buying films from the 70s and 80s, I've hardly bought any 00s films, as they've nearly all been mediocre, for some reason there were great storytellers and directors in the 70s and 80s.

Even the Chuck Norris films are way better than the blockbuster action films of today, and the best action director has to be Walter Hill, he's done a lot of cool films back in his heyday.

their are some great sotry teller in the 00s...
Richard Kelly
Quentin Tarantino
Robert Rodriguez
Darren Aronofsky
David Cronenberg
Peter Jackson
Christopher Nolan
David Fincher

and loads more

22nd March 2006 19:57  #10

Danny Storr Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 161
if there is a new release I want really badly I tend to pre order them online at good prices and get them delievered on the release date, others which I would like but don`t want to spend as much on I wait until they come up on an offer !!!

22nd March 2006 21:39  #11

Gabe Powers Editor Join Date: September 2004 Location: United States Posts: 4,474 Send a message via ICQ to Gabe Powers
God I wish we had Frys Electronics here in Minnesota. When I lived in Phoenix I was within a few miles of one. They're kind of like Best Buy times ten.

22nd March 2006 22:35  #12

Mark Lim Member Join Date: March 2004 Location: Australia Posts: 1,211
I would definitely buy more! Currently it's costing me around A$45-$50 for new releases from Region 1. If the price lowered permanently, I'd be saving more money for other dvd's.  

But hey, this is a good question because with the advent of HD-DVD and Blu Ray, if those formats takes off like a rocket, maybe the price of current dvd format might get cheaper! What do you all think??

22nd March 2006 23:00  #13

stanton heck Member Join Date: June 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,098
I don't think Blue-Ray or HD-DVD will hit big until evrybody can buy a HD-TV for $500 and TV is broadacsting in it full time

23rd March 2006 0:15  #14

manuel0202 Member Join Date: March 2006 Location: United States Posts: 2
walmart sells the new releases around $14.00 the first week of release..

23rd March 2006 0:56  #15

Tigerclaw Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: Canada Posts: 493 Send a message via MSN to Tigerclaw
$26 Canadian is average price for new release.  I like to buy deals that have 2 for $30.

23rd March 2006 6:28  #16

Aaron Schneiderman Senior Member Join Date: September 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,198
Chris wrote: There are only so many films I can watch (or want to watch) and I've probably exceeded that limit already. I have really cut back on my buying nowadays. I probably buy one a month on average, although I might go for a few months without anything then get two or three.

I've got around 500 discs and I reckon that if really pushed I could get it down to a hundred or less. That said, it's my hobby and 'd rather be spending the money on DVDs than going to the pub every night, gambling and prostitutes... Well, maybe.

It's funny reading your post Chris because I came to the same conclusion recently and have started to thin out the collection. It had ballooned to over 900 and many of them are still in the shrink wrap. So I have begun the process of weeding out the titles that have sat on the shelf unopened for a long time. I would like to trim it down to a nice 400-500 but if I was forced to get down to 100 or less I would need withdrawal therapy.

23rd March 2006 8:15  #17

Franchise Member Join Date: March 2006 Location: United States Posts: 294 Send a message via AIM to Franchise Send a message via MSN to Franchise Send a message via Yahoo to Franchise
Most movies are $14.48 at Wal-Mart the first few days of release around me.  I buy them then if I'm interested.  I buy cartoons for my son, horror for myself, and my wife buys whatever she wants.  Personally, I buy 1 movie a week and sometimes more.  Price has never been a big issue for me since I could be spending the money on far worse things.  I may have to cut down on the fat though considering I'm fast running out of space.  Imagine if all DVDs were as fat as VHS tapes.  Ugh.

27th March 2006 17:38  #18

Adrian Senior Member Join Date: September 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,305
Aaron Schneiderman wrote: Chris wrote: There are only so many films I can watch (or want to watch) and I've probably exceeded that limit already. I have really cut back on my buying nowadays. I probably buy one a month on average, although I might go for a few months without anything then get two or three.

It's funny reading your post Chris because I came to the same conclusion recently and have started to thin out the collection. It had ballooned to over 900 and many of them are still in the shrink wrap. So I have begun the process of weeding out the titles that have sat on the shelf unopened for a long time. I would like to trim it down to a nice 400-500 but if I was forced to get down to 100 or less I would need withdrawal therapy.

At least I am not alone.  I've gone up to nearly 1700 titles now and a good portion still remain in shrink wrap.  I need to quit recording so many movies off TCM so I actually have time to watch the movies that I buy.

28th March 2006 23:04  #19

Arellium Member Join Date: January 2006 Location: United States Posts: 136
1700 TITLES!!!!! HOW MUCH SPACE DO YOU HAVE!!!!

29th March 2006 7:41  #20

Keith Member Join Date: June 2005 Location: United States Posts: 221
I would probably at least look and cosider.  Like other said, quality and content is also the issue, with quality being No. 1.  There are many movies I don't even bother looking over because of the price tag.  I most retail stores in the USA, you'll get the best price when it first comes out, so better for you if you've already done some homework.

29th March 2006 16:27  #21

Adrian Senior Member Join Date: September 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,305
Arellium wrote: 1700 TITLES!!!!! HOW MUCH SPACE DO YOU HAVE!!!!

Lots!  It's the advantage of living alone.

2nd April 2006 23:00  #22

Dustin Member Join Date: March 2006 Location: United States Posts: 553 Send a message via AIM to Dustin
I agree with Matt... if you're paying more than $15 for a title you're probably shopping at the wrong place.

Quick Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?