Leaderboard Extra
LAST SUMMER (1969) Once Again

Forums - Discs & Movies - LAST SUMMER (1969) Once Again 

6th March 2008 2:04  #1

Ziegfeld Man Member Join Date: March 2008 Location: United States Posts: 20
LAST SUMMER (1969) Once Again
"Last Summer," director Frank Perry's provocative coming of age movie starring Barbara Hershey has never appeared on DVD, and it should. Currently owned by Warners, a grass roots campaign of DVDACTIVE members could work. This is how Peter Jackson's "Heavenly Creatures" (Kate Winslet's debut) made it to home video. If you are not familiar with "Last Summer" check it out on IMDB at http://imdb.com/title/tt0064573/.

Please be advised that this is a serious post, not spam, and that sarcastic, immature, rude and inappropriate replies are not only not welcome, but will be reported. Are you listening Ms. Nic Mall?

6th March 2008 5:40  #2

Jersey Jedi Member Join Date: August 2004 Location: United States Posts: 714
are you kidding me dude?

6th March 2008 6:02  #3

Thanks for your question!

Absolutely not kidding

6th March 2008 9:51  #4

Nic Mall Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 1,202 Send a message via MSN to Nic Mall
Well I'm positively s**tting myself.

6th March 2008 10:10  #5

m@tt Member Join Date: October 2007 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 551
I've always thought Nic deserved a good spanking (naughty girl).

6th March 2008 11:01  #6

Nic Mall Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 1,202 Send a message via MSN to Nic Mall
Hur hur hur

6th March 2008 11:35  #7

Chris Gould Editor Join Date: May 2001 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 7,120 Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gould Send a message via MSN to Chris Gould Send a message via Skype to Chris Gould
Posting the same thing repeatedly is spam. Oh, and everyone knows I'm first in line to give Nic that spanking.

6th March 2008 12:51  #8

Well, pardon me, as a new member I did not realize that this website and these forums are the equivalent of some weird cyberspace social gathering complete with spanking. Rather, I assumed that I was visiting a serious and FRIENDLY place for the advancement of home video and DVD.

Thanks Chris, it was fun, put I can see that Nic really runs this site and not you, and Nic, have fun, s**tting and rocking, I suppose that's your real talent. use it well here.

6th March 2008 13:57  #9

It is friendly. When people don't spam.

6th March 2008 16:41  #10

OK Nic:
Let's start again--I posted about a film I would really like to see on DVD. I put in some details because it's an obscure film, that few people have even heard of. I'm sure that you have a "wish list" of films you would like to see on DVD. DVDsavant.com puts out such a list every year. Through communities such as this studios listen.

So, why all the hostility and calling me "punk." I'm not plugging anything. From your list I see that you are an avid collector-so am I. With "Last Summer" all I want is to see it on DVD and buy it.

So honestly, tell me what your problem is with this. I'm listening.

Respectfully submitted

6th March 2008 17:16  #11

Worst Nightmare Senior Member Join Date: July 2002 Location: Australia Posts: 6,706 Send a message via AIM to Worst Nightmare Send a message via ICQ to Worst Nightmare Send a message via MSN to Worst Nightmare Send a message via Yahoo to Worst Nightmare Send a message via Google to Worst Nightmare
Sometimes we can be serious and other times take the tounge in cheek approach - remember that you have many people from all over the world that venture on this site with many differences in culture, humour, etc...

Anyway, if Nic called you a Punk, it probably is a fetish thing Wink

6th March 2008 17:25  #12

Dear "Worst Nightmare":
I certainly appreciate your comment as well as cultural differences. Where I come from the word "fetish" is usually not taken kindly, and I'm not sure even Nic would like that term applied to her. I don't know. But I believe in communication not name-calling. I, once, in a very joking manner called a girl a "b***h"-not in anger just in fun--and I was appropriately put in my place. You notice that I did not use that word in reponse to Nic and never would.

Thanks  

6th March 2008 20:30  #13

Jersey Jedi Member Join Date: August 2004 Location: United States Posts: 714
Ziegfeld Man wrote: Dear "Worst Nightmare":
I certainly appreciate your comment as well as cultural differences. Where I come from the word "fetish" is usually not taken kindly, and I'm not sure even Nic would like that term applied to her. I don't know. But I believe in communication not name-calling. I, once, in a very joking manner called a girl a "b***h"-not in anger just in fun--and I was appropriately put in my place. You notice that I did not use that word in reponse to Nic and never would.

Thanks  

That's gotta be the most hilariously passive-aggressive statement next to the Obama-Clinton campaigns.

7th March 2008 4:21  #14

Hi Jersey Jedi:

Your comment is well taken, but I think you will agree that my personality, as you have judged without even knowing me, is irrelevant to my mission here at DVDactive.

I do, indeed, agree with your philosophy of "No Day but Today," and that is why I am continuing to pursue my original intention of getting "Last Summer" on DVD, with the kind help of people here.

So if this is really a DVD forum and not a political, personality, or pop-psych forum, maybe we can stick to the subject at hand.

If that's too "passive-aggressive" I apologize.

7th March 2008 4:32  #15

Manda of Mu Member Join Date: June 2006 Location: United States Posts: 458
::yawn::

IMDB called, they want their topic back @_@.

7th March 2008 4:41  #16

Hi Manda:

Glad to have you aboard. If you take a look at some of the posts on IMDB you will find them interesting and controversial.

Thanks

7th March 2008 5:25  #17

Worst Nightmare Senior Member Join Date: July 2002 Location: Australia Posts: 6,706 Send a message via AIM to Worst Nightmare Send a message via ICQ to Worst Nightmare Send a message via MSN to Worst Nightmare Send a message via Yahoo to Worst Nightmare Send a message via Google to Worst Nightmare
WIll this become Wizard of Oz all over again?

Ziegfeld man, it's starting to sound like you have something going for Nic Wink (note the smiley - this means a joke!)

I would suggest that if you are serious about a movie making it to DVD you should send a letter off to the production company yourself - there may be a few thousand members here but it takes hundreds of thousands to convine a studio it is worth putting the money up to make the DVD.

I think you will find just about everyone here is very easy going - just relax a bit and you will be fine....

Unless Pirate Nic gets ya! Muh huh haaaa.....Happy

7th March 2008 5:53  #18

m@tt Member Join Date: October 2007 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 551
I think there is already a post for films that are not on DVD yet somewhere around here and that remark about this place being some weird cyberspace social gathering complete with spanking is not true, otherwise i'd be here more often.

7th March 2008 6:26  #19

Dear Worst Nightmare:

Thanks for the suggestion-I've been working on the hundreds of thousands all along with campaigns at IMDB, DVDSAVANT, among others. I've only recently discovered this site and am trying to generate interest in a nearly forty year old film, that many are just too young to have ever seen in its theatrical run in 1969. To me it's worth the effort. Warner Home Video knows very well about me and my efforts. They're just waiting for more letters from people like you. If they make the DVD's they want to know that people will buy them. It's a business, plain and simple.

Here's an example-last year Criterion finally released Billy Wilder's scathing "Ace in The Hole." If you weren't going to the movies in the early 1950's then you missed this brilliant film now considered a classic. It took a big public campaign (which I was part of) to make this happen-but it happened.
How many times have you read about a film on Amazon ending with the question: Why isn't this film on DVD?

One more example-"Whistle Down The Wind"-the magnificent Hayley Mills 1961 film (which inspired the musical), is available on Region2 in the UK, but not in the US. There are other films in which the situation is reversed. I'm sure you have your own "passionate" films not available in your country.

Tonight I had the pleasure of seeing "Major Barbara"-the Bernard Shaw film from 1941 with Rex Harrison and Wendy Hiller. I had to wait years for this to show up IN A MUSEUM. An amazing film totally unavailable on DVD.

I am not aggressive, nor passive-but I am relaxed and enthusiastic.

Perhaps you guys are not used to enthusiasm-perhaps that's why I'm having trouble being taken seriously.

I'm OK with that, if you want to yawn, go ahead, but I promise you that you stand to miss opporunities to see some great cinema on DVD.

Thanks, and, yes, no day but today.

Oh Yeah, one more thing, I do have a thing for Nic--I have a grand daughter who is as cute as she is.
Hey-sex kitten!

7th March 2008 9:35  #20

Chris Gould Editor Join Date: May 2001 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 7,120 Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gould Send a message via MSN to Chris Gould Send a message via Skype to Chris Gould
You'd have had a better response if you hadn't posted multiple times. It made you look like a spammer, hence the reaction from certain quarters.

7th March 2008 13:23  #21

Hi Chris:

Much appreciated. Old adage: "If you're too immature to take criticism, then you're not mature enough to take praise." I admit to being over enthusiastic and I apologize.

I really like and admire the spirit in this group and the opportunity to really be a part of an international forum.

Thank you for allowing me to stay here--maybe some members will really be curious about my pursuit. Studios really do listen. In looking over the other topics here, I'm certainly curious and interested in theirs.

8th March 2008 9:12  #22

Don't stalk me on eBay you mental.

8th March 2008 16:12  #23

Hi Nic:

We are several days and posts down the line on this topic, and you'll notice that my eBay message was in response to your "stop plugging your cinema, punk." Regardless, I do apologize if I offended you. As I said, I am new here and learning the "ropes." It's just that I didn't expect such initial hostility from what I consider a serious inquiry about DVD's. After all, this forum, does say "discs and movies."

I'm all over the net with this campaign (it's hard work for a forty year old film), and rather than responses such as yours, I get people who want to know more about the film. So, I was incredibly taken aback by your response and sarcasm.

I've seen your posts such as the "6.1 vs 7.1", I wish I had something to respond with, but I don't even have 6.1--I'm still at 5.1 with a twenty year old TV. Anyway, I hope that we've gotten over our "first impressions" of each other and that we can now "move on." Actually, I'd like to hear about some film that you like which isn't available on DVD.

Thank you

8th March 2008 17:34  #24

Apparently there are not any good quality prints in existence other then c**ppy VHS. And WB also is looking to release it one of these days, in this case the term patience is a virtue comes into play.

Fans of the Twilight Zone Movie had to wait years until it got it's DVD release from WB in late 2007 and that is only one example. WB, along with Criterion and Janus Films hold the rights to literally hundreds of movies so naturally it will take a long time to have them all released.

All you can really do is email WB and request. However, since it seems no one on this fourm hasn't heard of the film I imagine you will have a tough time getting them to email WB about it.

There has been mention of this film from WB, so you are in more luck then you think. There are films I would love to see released on DVD but I KNOW will never be.

8th March 2008 19:19  #25

Dear Manda:

Well taken and appreciated. But I'm not that pessimistic and "tough time" is no problem. As I mentioned, there was a "tough time" campaign for Peter Jackson's "Heavenly Creatures"-a fabulous movie and the campaign worked. You obviously know about "Last Summer." You can help me. I can provide tons of info about it.

You can provide me with info about the films that you KNOW will never be out. I can help you.

That's one of the reasons, I hope, that this forum exists.

Last thing-three years ago, expecting nothing, I called Warner Home Video, and asked to speak to George Feltenstein, who is in charge of all Warner releases. I was told that he doesn't speak to "consumers," but he wanted to speak to me about "Last Summer." I like to take some small credit for Warners now even considering it.

The more calls, letters, and e-mails, the better-"The squeaky wheel gets oiled."

Don't take this as some kind of rebuke, it's not meant to be-but here's how I live my life:

Losers think about what's going to happen
Winners think about what they want to happen

Hey Jersey Jedi-you didn't give up in the final seconds of the Superbowl!!

Thanks

Last, Last Thing: DVDSAVANT.com has been assembling a "wish list" for the last two years. Subscribers "fight" for these titles. Take a look-especially, near the bottom< at all of the titles that came out in 2007 which were posted on the wish list at the beginning of 2007.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s2489mia.html

9th March 2008 15:20  #26

Ziegfeld Man wrote: Dear Worst Nightmare:

Thanks for the suggestion-I've been working on the hundreds of thousands all along with campaigns at IMDB, DVDSAVANT, among others. I've only recently discovered this site and am trying to generate interest in a nearly forty year old film, that many are just too young to have ever seen in its theatrical run in 1969. To me it's worth the effort. Warner Home Video knows very well about me and my efforts. They're just waiting for more letters from people like you. If they make the DVD's they want to know that people will buy them. It's a business, plain and simple.

Here's an example-last year Criterion finally released Billy Wilder's scathing "Ace in The Hole." If you weren't going to the movies in the early 1950's then you missed this brilliant film now considered a classic. It took a big public campaign (which I was part of) to make this happen-but it happened.
How many times have you read about a film on Amazon ending with the question: Why isn't this film on DVD?

One more example-"Whistle Down The Wind"-the magnificent Hayley Mills 1961 film (which inspired the musical), is available on Region2 in the UK, but not in the US. There are other films in which the situation is reversed. I'm sure you have your own "passionate" films not available in your country.

Tonight I had the pleasure of seeing "Major Barbara"-the Bernard Shaw film from 1941 with Rex Harrison and Wendy Hiller. I had to wait years for this to show up IN A MUSEUM. An amazing film totally unavailable on DVD.

I am not aggressive, nor passive-but I am relaxed and enthusiastic.

Perhaps you guys are not used to enthusiasm-perhaps that's why I'm having trouble being taken seriously.

I'm OK with that, if you want to yawn, go ahead, but I promise you that you stand to miss opporunities to see some great cinema on DVD.

Thanks, and, yes, no day but today.

Oh Yeah, one more thing, I do have a thing for Nic--I have a grand daughter who is as cute as she is.
Hey-sex kitten!
Great responce - much better.
If Criterion get a hold of Last Summer, you know it will be in great hands! Most of us here are extremely enthusiastic - just laid back (if that sounds right). Now a days most of the younger generation (I am getting on in years now) only see the classics through cr*ppy remkaes which usually lose the charm of the original.

Good luck with it!

9th March 2008 19:39  #27

Dear Worst Nightmare:

Thank you for your kind words, I am happy that i'm making a "better fit" into this group--I really like it here.

Regarding Criterion--I'm always bugging them about "Whistle Down The Wind"- a wonderful British 1961 film that is little known today-but should be.

What I don't get is that "Whistle" was always part of the Janus collection, which is now owned by Criterion, and, in fact, Criterion has released many Janus titles.

I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone at Criterion, but they are always kind enough to get back to me...the Journey continues.

"Last Summer" is one of those "movies that changed my life."

I'd really like to here from others here about films that made a difference to then.

Thanks again

10th March 2008 2:32  #28

Ziegfeld Man wrote: Dear Manda:

Well taken and appreciated. But I'm not that pessimistic and "tough time" is no problem. As I mentioned, there was a "tough time" campaign for Peter Jackson's "Heavenly Creatures"-a fabulous movie and the campaign worked. You obviously know about "Last Summer." You can help me. I can provide tons of info about it.

You can provide me with info about the films that you KNOW will never be out. I can help you.

That's one of the reasons, I hope, that this forum exists.

Last thing-three years ago, expecting nothing, I called Warner Home Video, and asked to speak to George Feltenstein, who is in charge of all Warner releases. I was told that he doesn't speak to "consumers," but he wanted to speak to me about "Last Summer." I like to take some small credit for Warners now even considering it.

The more calls, letters, and e-mails, the better-"The squeaky wheel gets oiled."

Don't take this as some kind of rebuke, it's not meant to be-but here's how I live my life:

Losers think about what's going to happen
Winners think about what they want to happen

Hey Jersey Jedi-you didn't give up in the final seconds of the Superbowl!!

Thanks

Last, Last Thing: DVDSAVANT.com has been assembling a "wish list" for the last two years. Subscribers "fight" for these titles. Take a look-especially, near the bottom< at all of the titles that came out in 2007 which were posted on the wish list at the beginning of 2007.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s2489mia.html

Appreciate the list, but I was meaning films that will for sure not be released ever, such as Ishiro Honda's "Jû jin yuki otoko" Which was banned from post WWII Japanese cinema for it's overtly racist tones (or as the Ainu claimed it to be) in 1955 and is now considered lost, all that exists is the atrocious, heavily edited American version titled "Half Human". Or F.W. Murnau's anthology titled "Satan" which is also presumed lost much like the rest of his early films are sadly. OK, getting a little off the handle now, a lad can dream can't he? Wink

10th March 2008 3:10  #29

Yeah, I see what you mean. Speaking of Murnau, "Four Devils" is being reconstructed, probably via stills and intertitles, much as was done with "Greed" and "London After Midnight." Not the real film, but at least a taste of what it was.

I think the greatest restoration I've seen is the Kino "Metropolis" which had been butchered for years.

I'm still holding out for the lost reels of "Magnificent Ambersons."

But don't give up hope, The Criterion "Passion of Joan of Arc" which is gorgeous came from a long lost print found in an asylum in Scandinavia. You never know.

Thanks

Quick Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?