Leaderboard Extra
OSCARS -will you watch ????

Forums - Discs & Movies - OSCARS -will you watch ???? 

5th March 2006 11:42  #1

£ukasz D Member Join Date: August 2005 Location: Poland Posts: 859 Send a message via Skype to £ukasz D
OSCARS -will you watch ????
Hey...tonight is the night Happy
THe 2005 Academy Awards- Oscars night

i wonder...who will be watchi' it Live....couse I will Happy

P.S.: hope Hoffman wins some oscar Happy

5th March 2006 13:24  #2

Tony DeFrancisco Senior Member Join Date: July 2005 Location: United States Posts: 2,652
Yes, I'm ready for the event. Brokeback is gonna take home all the awards (well most of them, I want Phenoix to win Best Actor).

5th March 2006 13:42  #3

£ukasz D Member Join Date: August 2005 Location: Poland Posts: 859 Send a message via Skype to £ukasz D
hmm....that is what i'm afraid of....that BM is goin to win......it will be a sad day if BM will win..couse it would mean that it is a win only for the fact that it's a film about homosexuals...which isn't any reason to win OSCAR...i hope CRASH will win.

5th March 2006 14:27  #4

Je Ff Member Join Date: February 2005 Location: United States Posts: 438
£ukasz D wrote: hmm....that is what i'm afraid of....that BM is goin to win......it will be a sad day if BM will win..couse it would mean that it is a win only for the fact that it's a film about homosexuals...which isn't any reason to win OSCAR...i hope CRASH will win.
THANK YOU!  I've been saying that all along and finally someone agrees with me.  Controversy is no reason to win an Oscar.  And yes, Crash should win.  I haven't decided if I'm going to watch them yet.  It depends on whether or not I get all of my work done today.

5th March 2006 14:34  #5

Tony DeFrancisco Senior Member Join Date: July 2005 Location: United States Posts: 2,652
£ukasz D wrote: hmm....that is what i'm afraid of....that BM is goin to win......it will be a sad day if BM will win..couse it would mean that it is a win only for the fact that it's a film about homosexuals...which isn't any reason to win OSCAR...i hope CRASH will win.Most critics are prasing the film as the best film of the year. I'm hoping for Brokeback to in. I want to see that film pretty bad.

5th March 2006 15:03  #6

Jonny "Me You" Senior Member Join Date: March 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 2,863
This year's oscars are going to be the lowest rated of all time.

The movies nominated seem to hold little to none  mainstream entertainment interest, half of the viewing audience is going to be put off by John Stewart's left leaning views and the show is going to be 4 hours long.

I know this is the first year in as long as I can remember where I don't care who wins or what happens for those very reasons.

5th March 2006 15:05  #7

Donnie_Darko Banned Join Date: January 2006 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 352
Maybe cause Brokeback is a masterpiece? so it should win and Crash is good but overrated

and I don't own a TV so I won't watch and
Mickey Rourke didn't get nominated is a crime against humanity and Sin City not getting nominated for Special Effects is just wrong

6th March 2006 4:29  #8

Tony DeFrancisco Senior Member Join Date: July 2005 Location: United States Posts: 2,652
Well, kinda p**sed now because "Crash" recieved the best picture nomination. Oh who the hell am I s**tting? It was a brilliant film, but I really wanted Brokeback to win.

6th March 2006 4:52  #9

stanton heck Member Join Date: June 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,098
Tony DeFrancisco wrote: Well, kinda p**sed now because "Crash" recieved the best picture nomination. Oh who the hell am I s**tting? It was a brilliant film, but I really wanted Brokeback to win.
Coudn't agree with you more.

6th March 2006 5:00  #10

Adam K Member Join Date: September 2005 Location: United States Posts: 247
stanton heck wrote: Tony DeFrancisco wrote: Well, kinda p**sed now because "Crash" recieved the best picture nomination. Oh who the hell am I s**tting? It was a brilliant film, but I really wanted Brokeback to win.
Coudn't agree with you more.


Same here. Crash is phenomanel (f*ck the spelling), but I really wanted BBM to win. I think it didn't win because of how controversial and stuff it is, if you catch my drift.
One thing I was shocked by was the Best Original Song award, that was interesting. I'm sure the Academy thought they were real smart for choosing that. I was rootin' for INTO THE DEEP. Now THAT was a good song.

6th March 2006 5:01  #11

Tigerclaw Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: Canada Posts: 493 Send a message via MSN to Tigerclaw
well, I think everybody got a piece of the pie this year.

6th March 2006 7:06  #12

Worst Nightmare Senior Member Join Date: July 2002 Location: Australia Posts: 6,706 Send a message via AIM to Worst Nightmare Send a message via ICQ to Worst Nightmare Send a message via MSN to Worst Nightmare Send a message via Yahoo to Worst Nightmare Send a message via Google to Worst Nightmare
No - the show is a bit long and boring for me - and a real hassle when it is on during the day here in Australia and repeated at night after the other networks (who are not showing it) have already announced the winners.....

6th March 2006 7:07  #13

DarthElektra Member Join Date: February 2006 Location: United States Posts: 97
Yes, I am.

BBM deserved the best film!

6th March 2006 12:24  #14

£ukasz D Member Join Date: August 2005 Location: Poland Posts: 859 Send a message via Skype to £ukasz D
YES!!!!!!!!
Great choice Academy- CRASH is the best picture of the year for me.....and great to see Seymour-Hoffman wining-he was trully great...so was Reese Witherspoon....
only minus for me is the award for Best Animated Future Film - it went to Wallece and Gromit- I was keepin my fingers for Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (the best animated i've ever seen)..

P.S. - as for BM -why do you love that film so much- it is just an average movie..but tell me ..if it was a movie about love between man adn women-not between two mans...would it be as good as it is thought to be now ??????? I think No so why give an Oscar just for the fact that it is about homosexuals ????

6th March 2006 12:40  #15

Tony DeFrancisco Senior Member Join Date: July 2005 Location: United States Posts: 2,652
£ukasz D wrote: Great choice Academy- CRASH is the best picture of the year for me.....and great to see Seymour-Hoffman wining-he was trully great...so was Reese Witherspoon.... only minus for me is the award for Best Animated Future Film - it went to Wallece and Gromit- I was keepin my fingers for Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (the best animated i've ever seen)..I was hoping for Howl's Moving Castle to win, but Wallace and Gromit was a great film and deserved that award as much as Howl's Moving Castle. I really thought that Joaquin Phenoix was gonna take home the best actor award.

Adam K wrote: One thing I was shocked by was the Best Original Song award, that was interesting. I'm sure the Academy thought they were real smart for choosing that. I was rootin' for INTO THE DEEP. Now THAT was a good song. Really? I'm not a fan of rap music but I liked Three 6 Mafia's performance and I was glad it recieved it's award. And Hustle and Flow was a great film.

And may I asked, who liked Jon Stewart last night? I found myself to be rolling on the floor laughing with his jokes such as, "Good evening ladies, gentlemen, Felicity." I lost it and it was only the beginning.

6th March 2006 13:13  #16

floyd dylan Banned Join Date: April 2004 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 913
£ukasz D wrote: YES!!!!!!!!
Great choice Academy- CRASH is the best picture of the year for me.....and great to see Seymour-Hoffman wining-he was trully great...so was Reese Witherspoon....
only minus for me is the award for Best Animated Future Film - it went to Wallece and Gromit- I was keepin my fingers for Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (the best animated i've ever seen)..

P.S. - as for BM -why do you love that film so much- it is just an average movie..but tell me ..if it was a movie about love between man adn women-not between two mans...would it be as good as it is thought to be now ??????? I think No so why give an Oscar just for the fact that it is about homosexuals ????


Because Brokeback Mountain broke the boundries of what is considered as a hetrosexual world, and basically to p**s off the far right.

6th March 2006 13:48  #17

£ukasz D Member Join Date: August 2005 Location: Poland Posts: 859 Send a message via Skype to £ukasz D
Quote:
And may I asked, who liked Jon Stewart last night? I found myself to be rolling on the floor laughing with his jokes such as, "Good evening ladies, gentlemen, Felicity." I lost it and it was only the beginning.


i think he was bad...i'd love to see Billy Cristal back..he wa steh bast for me...Stewart was not funny at all...the whole Ceremony was a bit dull for me. Happy

6th March 2006 14:25  #18

Adrian Senior Member Join Date: September 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,305
£ukasz D wrote: hmm....that is what i'm afraid of....that BM is goin to win......it will be a sad day if BM will win..couse it would mean that it is a win only for the fact that it's a film about homosexuals...which isn't any reason to win OSCAR...i hope CRASH will win.

It wouldn't be the first time such a thing happened.  Does anyone really believe that Halle would have won an Oscar if they weren't honoring Sidney Poitier that night?

Over all, I was pleased with the show and the results.  Jon Stewart did a pretty good job hosting.  I could do without some of the stuff like the Chicken Little bit.

Anyone notice that during the montage that showed the clips from E.T., they used the clip where the federal agents are holding walkie talkies instead of guns.  Ugh!

Oh, I forgot to mention.  My picks for the top 9 categories were the best ever for me.  I was right on 6 of them!

6th March 2006 14:48  #19

Jonny "Me You" Senior Member Join Date: March 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 2,863
Alrighty, that was perhaps the worst Oscars of recent memory. Jon Stewart was as funny as paint drying and was so nervous earlier on he became Shatner - where....every.....word.....was...its....own....sentance. None of the movies or most of the actors held any interest for me and even the eyecandy was subdued.

There were some hi-lights though. Salma Hayek just about put me on the floor with how good she looked. Jessica Alba was right up there too. Then there was that terrible, awful, horrible song - It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp - after one of the worst performances I've ever seen. I laughed my ass off at that. Way to go academy!  The Oscars just lost the stretched credibility they had. Everyone just votes for their friends.

Plus the show was shorter then normal, that was a bonus too.

Other then that though, the best part of the show was were the titles with moments from various films interacting with each other, which is sad.

6th March 2006 15:13  #20

Cheddar J. Cheese Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 1,492
Adrian wrote:

Anyone notice that during the montage that showed the clips from E.T., they used the clip where the federal agents are holding walkie talkies instead of guns.  Ugh!


I did, I yelled out "SHOTGUNS!" and everyone just stared at me... (I meant that they should have them)

6th March 2006 19:43  #21

Je Ff Member Join Date: February 2005 Location: United States Posts: 438
I'm glad they didn't go with the easy choice (BBM) for best picture.  It's boring when Titanic and Return of the King win EVERYTHING, so it's nice of them to show that no movie has the best EVERYTHING.

6th March 2006 20:23  #22

Tony DeFrancisco Senior Member Join Date: July 2005 Location: United States Posts: 2,652
Jonny "Me You" wrote: Jessica Alba was right up there too.I knew you'd be mentioning that, as I forgot to say in my posts

6th March 2006 20:36  #23

Kenneth P Member Join Date: September 2005 Location: United States Posts: 29
I just got the feeling by watching the Oscar Awards that there was some DVD-Bashing going on.

6th March 2006 23:05  #24

Jonny "Me You" Senior Member Join Date: March 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 2,863
Kenneth P wrote: I just got the feeling by watching the Oscar Awards that there was some DVD-Bashing going on.

Yup, I noticed that too. I wanted to slap the c**p out of the academy president. True, there's nothing like watching that big movie in a theater, but with cell phones, annoying kids, generally unkept premesis, high prices and various other annoyances, who wants it?

Then I remember I later felt insulted when they introduced "the epic" when really they just threw the movies that people really go to see and enjoy in one category of clips and was done with it. Like it was beneath them or something to do anymore then basically acknowledge bigger movies. Most of what they showed never won anything, but holds places among the best movies ever released. If anyone wants to gain the audience the Oscars has lost, award the movies people pay to see - just because it's bigger and draws in money shouldnt mean it's automatically devoid of quality work.

I'll give Jon Stewart one thing though, he got it right when he told us to look at the celebrities in the audience and remember that they're the ones hurt by piracy. Idiots!

Tony DeFrancisco wrote: I knew you'd be mentioning that, as I forgot to say in my posts

I don't think she'll ever win an oscar, but she sure is nice to look at Wink

7th March 2006 1:42  #25

Kenneth P Member Join Date: September 2005 Location: United States Posts: 29
Jonny "Me You" wrote: Kenneth P wrote: I just got the feeling by watching the Oscar Awards that there was some DVD-Bashing going on.

Yup, I noticed that too. I wanted to slap the c**p out of the academy president. True, there's nothing like watching that big movie in a theater, but with cell phones, annoying kids, generally unkept premesis, high prices and various other annoyances, who wants it?

Then I remember I later felt insulted when they introduced "the epic" when really they just threw the movies that people really go to see and enjoy in one category of clips and was done with it. Like it was beneath them or something to do anymore then basically acknowledge bigger movies. Most of what they showed never won anything, but holds places among the best movies ever released. If anyone wants to gain the audience the Oscars has lost, award the movies people pay to see - just because it's bigger and draws in money shouldnt mean it's automatically devoid of quality work.

I'll give Jon Stewart one thing though, he got it right when he told us to look at the celebrities in the audience and remember that they're the ones hurt by piracy. Idiots!

Tony DeFrancisco wrote: I knew you'd be mentioning that, as I forgot to say in my posts

I don't think she'll ever win an oscar, but she sure is nice to look at Wink


Not to mention that it is a whole lot cheaper to get a DVD than to see that movie in the theatre. On an average, a ticket costs around $10.00 ($5.00 child). Not to mention the cost for the consession stand. On the average, a family of 4 could pay an average of $60.00 (tix and grub).

DVD, on the other hand, costs an average of $15.00. Food? Your kitchen at home IS the consession stand. A family can call, say Friday night, DVD and Meal night. That concept is a heck of a lot cheaper than going to the Theatre.

To tell the industry, you NEED to think about us-the consumers first! We want a good movie. NO REHASH! NO PLUG AND CHUG EPIC! NO BAD STORY LINE! JUST QUALITY!

7th March 2006 12:40  #26

Tony DeFrancisco Senior Member Join Date: July 2005 Location: United States Posts: 2,652
Jonny "Me You" wrote: Tony DeFrancisco wrote: I knew you'd be mentioning that, as I forgot to say in my posts

I don't think she'll ever win an oscar, but she sure is nice to look at Wink
Hmm... maybe we should tell the Academy to start an award stating "The Best Looking Actress".

7th March 2006 19:18  #27

Jonathan Bennett Member Join Date: March 2005 Location: United States Posts: 600 Send a message via AIM to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via MSN to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via Yahoo to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via Google to Jonathan Bennett
Alba looked like she obviously had implants.
anyway, the show sucked.
I usually love Jon Stewart,
but he was pretty stiff.
and Capote should've won Best Picture(not BBM, although it is still great, same with Munich, Crash is good, but Best Picture, you gotta be f**king kidding me).

7th March 2006 22:01  #28

Donnie_Darko Banned Join Date: January 2006 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 352
and Mickey Rourke not even getting nominated for best supporting actor is a crime against humanity and same goes for Val Kilmer for Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

8th March 2006 14:32  #29

Adrian Senior Member Join Date: September 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,305
Donnie_Darko wrote: and Mickey Rourke not even getting nominated for best supporting actor is a crime against humanity and same goes for Val Kilmer for Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Absolutely ludicrous.  The only nominee in the Supporting Actor I could argue against is William Hurt, but I wouldn't have filled it with either of these two.

Quick Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?