Cookies on DVDActive
DVDActive uses cookies to remember your actions, such as your answer in the poll. Cookies are also used by third-parties for statistics, social media and advertising. By using this website, it is assumed that you agree to this.

Leaderboard Extra
Samsung DVDHD845 a.k.a. poor mans HD

Forums - Discs & Movies - Samsung DVDHD845 a.k.a. poor mans HD 

7th March 2006 21:59  #1

rob murray Member Join Date: November 2004 Location: United States Posts: 477
Samsung DVDHD845 a.k.a. poor mans HD
I recently read about these regular DVD players that can upscan on a HD TV st to 1080i. I'm calling Shennanigans BUT I wanted to know if anyone here has any experience with them and could shed some light on the subject for me. I know that it only uses HDMI and that wouldnt be a problem with me considering I have a set that supports it

8th March 2006 0:38  #2

Jonny "Me You" Senior Member Join Date: March 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 2,863
The players simply take the native 480 lines of the DVD and then interpolates the data to increase the number of lines to an HDTV's native resolution, intelligently filling in the gaps that are created as it does.

Good ones do a decent job, but it's still won't actually increase the detail. Personally, I don't see a need for them if you have a good player already. DVD movies already look so great that it's a marginal improvement. If you were using a projector and screen though, then maybe look into it. Take a walk through a Best Buy, half of the players near me are all upconverting and are on display showing off what they got.

Quick Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?