Cookies on DVDActive
DVDActive uses cookies to remember your actions, such as your answer in the poll. Cookies are also used by third-parties for statistics, social media and advertising. By using this website, it is assumed that you agree to this.
 
Leaderboard Extra
Seven Best Modern Horror Movies

Forums - Discs & Movies - Seven Best Modern Horror Movies 

Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?
Additional Options These options are not required but may be useful.
Existing Posts
Franchise wrote: I agree, Mal.  It was a great movie that changed the odds when it cast all women.  Good call there.

As for Halloween, I'll know more tomorrow.  Happy


So, did you find out anything?!
I agree, Mal.  It was a great movie that changed the odds when it cast all women.  Good call there.

As for Halloween, I'll know more tomorrow.  Happy
Mal
The Descent would be a good option, one of the best horrors I have seen in a while... the unedited ending gives it an extra edge.
I would have to go with:

Dawn of the Dead Remake
Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake
Jeepers Creepers
Wrong Turn
Cabin Fever
28 Days
Saw
and also, Comingsoon.net reports that New Line took the Friday the 13 prequel has been took off the release date schedule.
It seems like "Halloween 9" will be a prequel:

A ninth Halloween movie is being planned - as a prequel to the cult horror franchise. Plans to make Halloween: The Missing Years were shelved when producer Moustapha Akkad died in last year's terrorist attacks in Jordan, but writer Jake Wade Wall has confirmed to moviehole.net that the series is back on. Wall tells the site that the prequel will focus on the life of serial killer Michael Myers as a young man, before he was placed in a mental institution. Wall says, "I've been hired three different times for it (the film)... It looks like it's finally set to go. I know that they're (studio executives) in the process of nailing down a really big director but I haven't been able to figure out who it is yet."
I finally got around to watching A Tale of Two Sisters.  Very interesting and a well made movie, but I'm not sure I would call it horror.
DivineWaters wrote: Anyone check Slither? I know it's a comedy, but I thought it was a great movie. I agree with pretty much everything else that was mentioned.

I saw Slither.  It was quite enjoyable, but you have to be in the right mood for it.  Unfortunately, horror/comedy doesn't always work well and this movie is full of cheese.  But sometimes you want cheese, and this movie does quite well then.
i think the 5 best movies are
1.hostel
2.the hills have eyes
3.the texas chainsaw massacre
4.final destination
5.dawn of the dead ( the thing that made this movie go from really good to great was the lounge version of "down with the sickness" by richard cheese Happy
Tony DeFrancisco wrote: MrStayPuft wrote: Matt wrote: Well, you can mark Silent Hill off that list; saw a preview screening Thursday evening and came out of it with the conclusion that it's neck and neck with Sony's other turkey, The Pink Panther, for worst movie of the year.
Really? That bad? I absolutely refused to see Pink Panther, but was looking forward to Silent Hill. So far from other reviews, they tend to agree that it's a better movie if you played the games. I havn't played any of the games myself, so now I'm a bit worried. What didn't you like about it?
Yeah, and IMDb gives it a 7.4 rating with over 1,100 votes.


That's a lot beter than any of Uwe Boll's adaptations.
MrStayPuft wrote: Matt wrote: Well, you can mark Silent Hill off that list; saw a preview screening Thursday evening and came out of it with the conclusion that it's neck and neck with Sony's other turkey, The Pink Panther, for worst movie of the year.
Really? That bad? I absolutely refused to see Pink Panther, but was looking forward to Silent Hill. So far from other reviews, they tend to agree that it's a better movie if you played the games. I havn't played any of the games myself, so now I'm a bit worried. What didn't you like about it?
Yeah, and IMDb gives it a 7.4 rating with over 1,100 votes.
Matt wrote: Well, you can mark Silent Hill off that list; saw a preview screening Thursday evening and came out of it with the conclusion that it's neck and neck with Sony's other turkey, The Pink Panther, for worst movie of the year.
Really? That bad? I absolutely refused to see Pink Panther, but was looking forward to Silent Hill. So far from other reviews, they tend to agree that it's a better movie if you played the games. I havn't played any of the games myself, so now I'm a bit worried. What didn't you like about it?
MrStayPuft wrote: 2006 looks to be a promising year so far for horror. I still have yet to see Slither, but there's also Silent Hill, Saw 3, new Friday the 13th(hopefully out in 2006), Texas Chainsaw Massacre Prequal,The Omen remake, and a questionable Nightmare on Elm Street prequal.
Well, you can mark Silent Hill off that list; saw a preview screening Thursday evening and came out of it with the conclusion that it's neck and neck with Sony's other turkey, The Pink Panther, for worst movie of the year.
I liked quite a few of the horror films mentioned above, but I think I'm a bit partial to the Final Destination movies.  
IMO, there have been no good horror movies released in the past 5 years.
F13 will be out this year.  NOES won't be out til next year at the earliest.
In my opinion:
1)Saw
2)Bubba Ho-Tep (not real horror, but one of my favorites)
3)High Tension
4)Devil's Rejects
5)Scream

I'm hoping to replace some of these, and 2006 looks to be a promising year so far for horror. I still have yet to see Slither, but there's also Silent Hill, Saw 3, new Friday the 13th(hopefully out in 2006), Texas Chainsaw Massacre Prequal,The Omen remake, and a questionable Nightmare on Elm Street prequal.
Anyone check Slither? I know it's a comedy, but I thought it was a great movie. I agree with pretty much everything else that was mentioned.
Not bad for an independent movie that grossed more than anything independent until a few years ago.  Let's get back on the topic.  lol
I was trying to explain to one of the young'uns why he didn't think it was a scary film. Halloween lost it's power to frighten me a long time ago, but Carpenter's technical prowess makes it a film I can still enjoy to this day.
I think Halloween is a "time and place" scary movie. In the right time and place it is scary. On TV, 30 years after the fact and after scores of immatations, is not the right time or place.

I do believe that's you that said that in the comments unless there's another account for you.  Wink  I don't care either way.  When I watch it, I watch it on a disc that was made for me with both Halloween and H2 on it with the TV scenes edited in.  Better effect.
What did I say about Halloween? I LOVE Halloween!
Cool.  My only claim to fame is the interview I did with Tony Masi, the webmaster of http://www.halloweenmovies.com.  And I did read that.  I just registered a few weeks ago, but I've been coming here for a while.  Your article was good in the fact that it went nontraditional and not even in the horror genre.  That's always impressive.  I can't say I like the comments on Halloween though.  lol  I personally don't care.  You've got your fanatics though that will argue you to death on why Child's Play or things like that are great.  My personal favorite articles are the year in reviews that people here do.  I read yours on that as well.

One day I'll have time to develop an article, but right now, I'm a new father, new homeowner, husband for a year, and trying to keep up with my own website.  It keeps me busy.
I agree that Haute Tension was undone by the twist and said so in my review here. As a reviewer who's covered both Artsmagic and Tartan Asia Extreme releases, I'm burned out on Asian horror to the freaking max. That said, Tale of Two Sisters was still a wonderful film.

I don't know how long you all have been reading the site, but last year I did a piece on my picks for most disturbing films here, and I plan on doing a follow up this Halloween.
I'm burnt out on the Asian movies that deal with cell phones, long haired girls, and ghosts in general.  A Tale of Two Sisters is my kind of movie, but it's one of those that I had to not watch anything Asian horror for a week to finish it up.  The one that I was talking about a while back was 3 Extremes.  Great movie.  3 shorts by amazing directors with Chan-wook Park doing the best with Fruit Chan turning up the amazing Dumplings.  Takashi Miike was good, but it wasn't Audition good.
Mal wrote: Adrian wrote: I've got Tale of Two Sisters on the DVR from IFC.  I'm looking forward to seeing it, though I have been disappointed with most Japanese horror that I have seen lately.
A truely excellent film, although bear in mind it's Korean, not Japanese. Happy


Oops.  Very Happy
Mal
Adrian wrote: I've got Tale of Two Sisters on the DVR from IFC.  I'm looking forward to seeing it, though I have been disappointed with most Japanese horror that I have seen lately.
A truely excellent film, although bear in mind it's Korean, not Japanese. Happy
I can't believe that people really liked High Tension and to a lesser extent Hostel.

I was so p**sed off after watching High Tension.  If it was made as a straightforward horror movie, it would have been one of the best horror movies made in the last 5 years.  (It would have even made up for the fact that my theater was showing it dubbed.  There isn't a lot of dialogue and most of it occurs with the characters not looking at the camera, so you don't get the audio/visual synchronization problems of most dubbed films.)  But no.  They had to put a twist in.  A twist that is patently impossible and defies all reason.  Ugh!

I've got Tale of Two Sisters on the DVR from IFC.  I'm looking forward to seeing it, though I have been disappointed with most Japanese horror that I have seen lately.

Anyone seen Ghost Actress (aka Don't Look Up).  It's been awhile since I've seen it, but from what I remember I loved it.  The only disappointing thing is that it is only 75 minutes long.

Remake mania continues as they are remaking both Black Christmas and Don't Look Now.  I'm not opposed to remakes.  The remakes of Dawn of the Dead and Texas Chainsaw Massacre were both enjoyable.  The others, like Amityville Horror, were just as bad as the originals, but what can you expect.  As long as they don't take good source material and make a bad movie out of it.
lol  Being a 29 year old man, I can appreciate exactly what you say.  I'm just as happy watching Halloween or Dawn of the Dead (78 version) as I am with High Tension or Hostel.  Some people don't seem to understand that all movies have roots in something.  There may be fresh ideas, but they all have origins elsewhere.
I thought Dawn of the Dead was a solid remake that used the same themes in it's own way and developed on its own (which is saying something because I wanted to hate it with every fiber of my being). Though there are differences, the Chainsaw and Ring remakes felt like sort of moot monetary updates. Both were well made, but I didn't see the point in either. However, you're comments are valid, and I can appriciate your opinion here, it bugs me when youg'uns just hate the originals because they're 'old'.
The reason I liked the both is because they were quite stylish and worked well to not contradict anything that previous movies in the series set up.  And I know you're going to think they're remakes, but to me they stuck with the themes and didn't alienate the fans they had of the originals.
No Tony, no. The Red Dragon was not a horror movie.

And it was pretty bland IMHO....then I kind of hated the Chainsaw and Ring remakes...
Franchise wrote: Past 5 years?  That's pretty easy.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Ring
High Tension
Dawn of the Dead
Saw
I'd agree with most of that, but replace The Ring with Red Dragon.
The closest to classic real horror films we've gotten in the last 5 years:
A Tale of Two Sisters
Three Extremes
Land of the Dead
and had it not been for the twist, Haught Tension
I've enjoyed a lot of modern horror films, but I can't think of too many classics. Probably Audition. I wouldn't consider Devil's Rejects to be a horror film really. I loved Land of the Dead, but wouldn't call it a classic. I finally saw Hostel last night and was surprised how much I liked it, really dig the way Roth shoves the last 30 minutes with so many great images and ideas, it makes of for the obnoxious characters and frat-boy humour. I though High Tension and Wolf Creek were great for what they were, but too dirivative to be classics.

Thinking...

I'll get back to you on this one, and PS, I can't read that link cos I don't belong to the LA times, could you give me a rundown of their picks?
Off the top of my head I cant think of any that really struck a cord with me in the last 5 years or so. Maybe the Dawn of The Dead remake, but nothin else beyond that. I think its a shame coz no-one really seems to push the boundries in the horror genre anymore. I saw Hostel and was really hoping to be blown away givin the amount of "gore" and "intensity" it was supposed to have. All I'm gonna say is I hope theres an un-rated dvd release, because what I saw was neither gory or intense. I suspect heavy censoring, so I await the dvd release before I pass judgement.
The Exorcist, now there was a horror movie, The Thing, and I'll even go out on a limb and say The Entity (it scared da c**p outta me as a kid!) the Evil Dead, man, they sure dont make em like they used to............
Past 5 years?  That's pretty easy.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Ring
High Tension
Dawn of the Dead
Saw
I don't think that there has been many good horror movies in the last 5 years.  I didn't care for either the Devil's Rejects or Hostel.  Land of the Dead was okay, but somewhat disappointing considering how long we have waited for Romero's followup.

Personally, I liked the American version of the Ring.  28 Days Later was good, if not classic horror.  The Devil's Backbone (out of Mexico) was also very good.  I liked the Others and Skeleton Key as well, but those are more suspense than horror.  Audition was good, but from 7 years ago.  Below was an underrated horror movie.  Dog Soldiers was effective for a low budget horror, as was Blair Witch, but only if you saw Blair Witch before the hype got out of hand.

Sorry, a bit stream of conscience there.
what do you think are the best horror films in the last 5 years?

I personally think Devils Rejects,Hostel,Land Of The Dead
Seven Best Modern Horror Movies
I got this link from IMDB, but makes a good read.  From the LA Times Seven Best Modern Horror Movies.

Interesting, though that there is only one movie from the last 20 years.