Cookies on DVDActive
DVDActive uses cookies to remember your actions, such as your answer in the poll. Cookies are also used by third-parties for statistics, social media and advertising. By using this website, it is assumed that you agree to this.
 
Leaderboard Extra
Sony Does It Again: Is the UMD DOA?

Forums - Discs & Movies - Sony Does It Again: Is the UMD DOA? 

Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?
Additional Options These options are not required but may be useful.
Existing Posts
Yes but I imagine the logic is that you also have a game system if you wish to use it as well as a DVD player. Most people who buy the PSP get at least 1 game. The problem is they then only buy UMD and not anymore games. I'm only guessing this based on articles I've seen as I don't own a PSP.
Justin Biddle wrote: People like to be able to watch a movie on the go. I'm not saying I would but I would imagine that's case.

Isn't that why they make portable DVD players?  They are cheaper than PSPs, connect to home theater systems, and play the media that you have already bought.
People like to be able to watch a movie on the go. I'm not saying I would but I would imagine that's case.
Justin Biddle wrote: I thought the reason they were trying to throttle the UMD format was because it was too successfull. A lot of money is spent on developing games and no-ones buying them. The PSP's main market is handheld gaming and hardly any games are being bought for the purpose. As gaming hardware is usually sold at a loss, Sony would make their money back through the licences sold for games on the system. If it's only selling UMD movies no-ones going to buy the licences and Sony will have a failure on their hands
Why would anyone pay the same price as the regular size items for the UMD format?!  They cost just as much, if not more, than regular sized dvds and games.  That is CRAZY!
I thought the reason they were trying to throttle the UMD format was because it was too successfull. A lot of money is spent on developing games and no-ones buying them. The PSP's main market is handheld gaming and hardly any games are being bought for the purpose. As gaming hardware is usually sold at a loss, Sony would make their money back through the licences sold for games on the system. If it's only selling UMD movies no-ones going to buy the licences and Sony will have a failure on their hands
Aaron Schneiderman wrote: It's not gonna help Rob. They could put them in packages of Kellogs Corn Flakes and the format is gonna disappear quickly. There is simply no need for it with the current technology available to DVD owners.

It probably isnt, but I already own a PSP and wouldnt mind paying an extra 3 bucks along with a movie I'm already going to buy. I think if they hadnt released so many s**tty movies on it it may have faired a little better but not much.
Tigerclaw wrote: OK Jonny, you can pay $300.00 for your PSP, $100.00 for your memory stick and $20 for your UMD movies.
I just need to pay $1.99 for my movies.


First off, I wouldn't buy UMD movies if I had a memory stick, thats the whole point. Second off, you're forgeting the likely $400 you'll have to pay for a decent capacity iPod in Canada.

For the same amount of money, I would get a game system, music player, internet surfer, tv and radio tuner, photo player and video system while you get music and video. Yippie!!! Tongue

OK Jonny, you can pay $300.00 for your PSP, $100.00 for your memory stick and $20 for your UMD movies.
I just need to pay $1.99 for my movies.
Gabe Powers wrote: I'm gussing PSP will end up with some kind of DVD hook-up or something in the future.

I'm pretty sure there is a 3rd party one out now, but in the future I just read somewhere that Sony is going to make a first party TV hookup.
Tigerclaw wrote:

And you where laughing at me when I said the IPod Video is better than the PSP.  You can download movies thru ITunes.  The format works with either Mac or PCs.  Apple is always in advance with Technology.  Sony is there to make $.


I don't get your point.

You can download video's through anything, for anything. In the case of the psp, just encode them to psp mp4 format and move them to your psp. You can do that on any system. Apple's so called advanced technology (playing video) has been around in different media players of various brands for years, so what are you talking about? Also, I don't get what you mean by "Sony is there to make $." Every companies one and only goal is to make money. You just told me how iPods use iTunes, which they want you to download propretory software from for money...lol



Mal
Sony push their own memory in order to get it more popular so that hardware companies can adopt it and pay for the license, which is the same reason the don't use other technology.
I still don't understand the price difference - why always more expensive for the cra*py UMD version?
Ahh Sony, always ready to shoot themselves in the foot...
I'm gussing PSP will end up with some kind of DVD hook-up or something in the future.
Jonny "Me You" wrote: my thoughts pretty much echo everyone else. Why would I buy a umd disc, when for the price of just a few of them I can buy a big enough memory stick to hold as many movies as I'm willing to rip? It's never made sense to me.

And you where laughing at me when I said the IPod Video is better than the PSP.  You can download movies thru ITunes.  The format works with either Mac or PCs.  Apple is always in advance with Technology.  Sony is there to make $.
I could never understand why someone would want to watch a movie on a tiny screen with a reformatted ratio and stereo sound, which really is a step back rather than a step forward.
I never understood memory sticks either.  Why reinvent the wheel to have some property.  Compact Flash or Secure Digital are much more common and for consumers much cheaper.  I avoid Sony Cameras and stuff because of the use of their proprietary memory stick.
my thoughts pretty much echo everyone else. Why would I buy a umd disc, when for the price of just a few of them I can buy a big enough memory stick to hold as many movies as I'm willing to rip? It's never made sense to me.
The format was kind of silly to begin with for movie releases.  They should have allowed people to rip their copies of movies down to UMD if they wanted, but who is going to buy UMDs that only play on the PSP?
It's not gonna help Rob. They could put them in packages of Kellogs Corn Flakes and the format is gonna disappear quickly. There is simply no need for it with the current technology available to DVD owners.
Actually Sony is packaging certain DVDs with UMDs in a few weeks for 3-5 dollars more. I like that idea alot. Although riping to the memory stick is still the best way to do it
Sony Does It Again: Is the UMD DOA?
According to The Digital Bits, major players like Sony, Paramount and Warner are not too enthusiastic about software sales for the Sony PSP. The studios are already cutting back on future releases. I predict a similar fate for the Blue-Ray and HD-DVD formats unless the studios get behind one format and make the software and hardware cheap right out of the gate. That's about as likely as Jessica Simpson winning an Oscar.

NEWSLETTER

Want regular email updates? Sign up today!

COMPETITIONS

Click below for your chance to win

Competition for Win Divergent