Leaderboard Extra
Superman Returns

Forums - Discs & Movies - Superman Returns 

28th June 2006 6:56  #1

Dustin Member Join Date: March 2006 Location: United States Posts: 553 Send a message via AIM to Dustin
Superman Returns
Just got back from Superman Returns.  Thought I'd share my thoughts because I'm a loudmouth that way.

Enjoyable film.  Way too long.  But worst of all, unnecessary!!!  Right down to the opening credits, this is a rehash of the Donner films.  I've got two plot spoilers for ya that are going to blow your mind.  Spoiler The way to hurt Superman is Kryptonite and Spoiler Lex Luthor is still craving land, a real estate scheme.

Gee.... those are a big surprise.  Just because Supe's villains other than Lex are not as well known, doesn't mean they're not film material.  I'm tired of Lex.  Spacey was GREAT, but this film doesn't have anything we haven't seen before, well, maybe a little.

Batman Begins was justified in that it brought so much new to the Bat-film table.  New thematic material, new look, new music, new characters, new cast.  The only one of these that Superman Returns attempts to make new is the cast, and they even port over Brando from the old ones.  Well, we do have a SMALL handful of new faces...

Could've been much better, had it only have been more unique.

28th June 2006 7:57  #2

Jersey Jedi Member Join Date: August 2004 Location: United States Posts: 714
Loved every second of it. Characters, plot and effects were handeled perfectly. As of right now, it's looking to usurp Spider-Man 2 as my favorite superhero movie. It's lenght was exactly what was necessary to resolve the story, and was paced leisurely for a reason, and it works.

And go see it in IMAX 3D. Holy Sheite.

28th June 2006 9:27  #3

rob murray Member Join Date: November 2004 Location: United States Posts: 477
Like Jedi, I loved it. My only gripe with the movie was the ending, kinda left me wanting more. Really enjoyable though and the Spidey 3 trailer was icing.

28th June 2006 12:21  #4

Dustin Member Join Date: March 2006 Location: United States Posts: 553 Send a message via AIM to Dustin
Oh c'mon!  But someone agree with me on this: the only new story here was the kid!  The film suffers from a horrid lack of originality, it's like a two and a half hour tribute to the Donner films...

Not saying I didn't like it, because I did... but it had glaring faults.

28th June 2006 13:49  #5

Stephen Etherton Member Join Date: October 2003 Location: United States Posts: 706
I can't agree with ya.
I loved it, it was everything it should have been.  Brian Singer saved this character and the franchise from the horrible ideas that were floating around for the past several years.

The only thing that may have made it better, since Singer was paying tribute to Richard Donner's flicks, if Singer filmed Superman Returns 2 (or whatever it'll be called) at the same time, so we knew it was coming faster (than a speeding bullit).

I will see it again, but this time with my free Superman Returns passes I got inside Lois & Clark & Superboy DVDs.

28th June 2006 14:10  #6

Chris Gould Editor Join Date: May 2001 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 7,108 Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gould Send a message via MSN to Chris Gould Send a message via Skype to Chris Gould
What I want to know is, does he get to fight a giant spider in the third act?

28th June 2006 14:32  #7

Tony DeFrancisco Senior Member Join Date: July 2005 Location: United States Posts: 2,652
The ending is at MoviePooper if anyone wants to read it.

I can't wait to see it today!

28th June 2006 14:45  #8

Stephen Etherton Member Join Date: October 2003 Location: United States Posts: 706
Chris wrote: What I want to know is, does he get to fight a giant spider in the third act?

I believe Capt. West & Artemus Gordon took care of this for Mr. Peters. lol.

28th June 2006 16:33  #9

Jersey Jedi Member Join Date: August 2004 Location: United States Posts: 714
Stephen Etherton wrote: Chris wrote: What I want to know is, does he get to fight a giant spider in the third act?

I believe Capt. West & Artemus Gordon took care of this for Mr. Peters. lol.


I swear to god I half expected to see a gay Robot gaurding the Fortress of Solitude in those early scenes.

28th June 2006 17:46  #10

Chris Gould Editor Join Date: May 2001 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 7,108 Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gould Send a message via MSN to Chris Gould Send a message via Skype to Chris Gould
I was looking forward to the Polar Bear fight.

28th June 2006 22:00  #11

Cheddar J. Cheese Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 1,492
"Superman: The Movie" and "Superman II" are 2 of my favourite superhero movies. I can honestly say that "Superman Returns" is the best Superman movie, and one of the best superhero movies out there.
Spoiler The kid is never confirmed. It was left very ambiguous. Although Lois and Superman believe it, it's not necessarilly true. And there are other things (in regard to the overnight stay in the fortress in "II") that are not plot holes, but just raise questions.

I laughed out loud at Ebert's review (beware, spoilers) http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...

28th June 2006 23:50  #12

mikey mike Member Join Date: March 2006 Location: Yemen Posts: 256
returns isn't the best IMHO but it is the 3rd best in the franchise. if Singer had trimmed 15 minutes from the opening and filled some plot holes it may have achieved the level of excellence  that "Batman Begins" has reached. don't know why filmmakers feel the need to bore audiences nowadays. peter jackson syndrome I suppose

29th June 2006 5:27  #13

Jersey Jedi Member Join Date: August 2004 Location: United States Posts: 714
mikey mike wrote: don't know why filmmakers feel the need to bore audiences nowadays. peter jackson syndrome I suppose

Or the MTV syndrome.

29th June 2006 9:02  #14

rob murray Member Join Date: November 2004 Location: United States Posts: 477
Cheddar J. Cheese wrote: "Superman: The Movie" and "Superman II" are 2 of my favourite superhero movies. I can honestly say that "Superman Returns" is the best Superman movie, and one of the best superhero movies out there.
Spoiler The kid is never confirmed. It was left very ambiguous. Although Lois and Superman believe it, it's not necessarilly true. And there are other things (in regard to the overnight stay in the fortress in "II"Wink that are not plot holes, but just raise questions.

I laughed out loud at Ebert's review (beware, spoilers) http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...


i dont think its ambiguous after the piano thing

29th June 2006 17:20  #15

Cheddar J. Cheese Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 1,492
Ok, but did we actually see him do that?

29th June 2006 17:46  #16

Jersey Jedi Member Join Date: August 2004 Location: United States Posts: 714
Cheddar J. Cheese wrote: Ok, but did we actually see him do that?

No, but the whole point of the film Spoiler is that Kal-El left for years to look for his history, his home and his people when what he was really looking for (his son) was on earth. And after his speach at the end of the movie, there's no way they would have him give the speach at the end of the movie (the same speach his father gave to him) if it wasn't his son.

29th June 2006 18:31  #17

Dustin Member Join Date: March 2006 Location: United States Posts: 553 Send a message via AIM to Dustin
Jersey Jedi, spoiler tags next time... please.  That's a huge reveal for people who haven't seen it yet.
Happy

29th June 2006 19:30  #18

Cheddar J. Cheese Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 1,492
Jersey Jedi wrote: Cheddar J. Cheese wrote: Ok, but did we actually see him do that?

No, but the whole point of the film Spoiler is that Kal-El left for years to look for his history, his home and his people when what he was really looking for (his son) was on earth. And after his speach at the end of the movie, there's no way they would have him give the speach at the end of the movie (the same speach his father gave to him) if it wasn't his son.


Spoiler  Interesting... I like how you say that what he was looking for was always here. Very nicely put. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Jason is Kal-El's son. He is also Lois' son, half human. He obviously has human frailties. But the kryptonite... He showed no weakness to the kryptonite, 2 theories: 1) Since he's only half kryptonian, kryptonite doesn't affect him. Or 2) Kryptonite does the opposite to him (strengthens him). Also, think about the CURRENT "Superman II" (and not the Donner cut, as "II" is the official version), how did he get his powers back? The green crystal. Now, we know now that the crystals have powers themselves. The green one restored his powers perhaps? And maybe, if Jason touched one of the crystals on the table on the boat, he'd get powers (if somewhat temporary and/or limited). I am of course just speculating, it is hard to deny that Jason IS Superman's/Clark's. But who knows, this may just be a red herring, or it's the real deal, Superman is a father, he is no longer alone.

30th June 2006 0:27  #19

Tony DeFrancisco Senior Member Join Date: July 2005 Location: United States Posts: 2,652
Okay, I saw the movie today, here is my two cents.

Spoiler I'm pretty sure that the child is Superman's father. But something isn't right. This takes place after Superman II, he's been gone for five years. The kid doesn't exactly look 4 or 5, I'd say maybe 7. To agree with Dustin, I'm tired of Lex too, hopefully this will be the last time we see him.

This might be just me too, but don't you think someone at the newspaper office realize Clark was missing?

Kate Bosworth looks too young too compared to the original Lois Lane


I'm very p**sed off too, I was expecting the Spidey 3 trailer, and my theater never showed it. My Quicktime is busted too, is there any other way I can get it besides downloading it?

30th June 2006 0:36  #20

Cheddar J. Cheese Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 1,492
Tony DeFrancisco wrote: Okay, I saw the movie today, here is my two cents.

Spoiler I'm pretty sure that the child is Superman's father. But something isn't right. This takes place after Superman II, he's been gone for five years. The kid doesn't exactly look 4 or 5, I'd say maybe 7. To agree with Dustin, I'm tired of Lex too, hopefully this will be the last time we see him.

This might be just me too, but don't you think someone at the newspaper office realize Clark was missing?

Kate Bosworth looks too young too compared to the original Lois Lane


I'm very p**sed off too, I was expecting the Spidey 3 trailer, and my theater never showed it. My Quicktime is busted too, is there any other way I can get it besides downloading it?



Wait, just to clarify...
Spoiler  The kid is Superman's father (Jor-El) or Superman is his father?

Youtube had the trailer before it was in theatres. Check there.

30th June 2006 0:38  #21

stanton heck Member Join Date: June 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,098
Hey this was the best comic-movie since X-2.

30th June 2006 0:47  #22

Tony DeFrancisco Senior Member Join Date: July 2005 Location: United States Posts: 2,652
Cheddar J. Cheese wrote: Tony DeFrancisco wrote: Okay, I saw the movie today, here is my two cents.

Spoiler I'm pretty sure that the child is Superman's father. But something isn't right. This takes place after Superman II, he's been gone for five years. The kid doesn't exactly look 4 or 5, I'd say maybe 7. To agree with Dustin, I'm tired of Lex too, hopefully this will be the last time we see him.

This might be just me too, but don't you think someone at the newspaper office realize Clark was missing?

Kate Bosworth looks too young too compared to the original Lois Lane


I'm very p**sed off too, I was expecting the Spidey 3 trailer, and my theater never showed it. My Quicktime is busted too, is there any other way I can get it besides downloading it?



Wait, just to clarify...
Spoiler  The kid is Superman's father (Jor-El) or Superman is his father?

Youtube had the trailer before it was in theatres. Check there.
Spoiler Superman is his father. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.

30th June 2006 1:26  #23

Cheddar J. Cheese Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 1,492
Don't be sorry. I didn't mean to sound like a stuffy know it all or anything. But with subject matter like this, anything is really possible, that's all.

30th June 2006 1:45  #24

Dustin Member Join Date: March 2006 Location: United States Posts: 553 Send a message via AIM to Dustin
Just to clarify my opinion, I absolutely loved Spacey as Lex, but I'm ready for a few new villains.  Keep him in the mix, sure, but bring on Braniac, Mxyztplk, Bizarro, General Zod, and when it's time for Supes death, bring on Doomsday.

30th June 2006 4:13  #25

Keith Member Join Date: June 2005 Location: United States Posts: 221
change?
Dustin wrote: Oh c'mon!  But someone agree with me on this: the only new story here was the kid!  The film suffers from a horrid lack of originality, it's like a two and a half hour tribute to the Donner films...

Not saying I didn't like it, because I did... but it had glaring faults.


The story can't change.  It is part of the heritage.  Didn't you see the original?

I would look at it as a color enhancement with up-to-date special effects.  I hope the directing and acting is up to par.    I almost went to see it tonight.

30th June 2006 4:17  #26

Jersey Jedi Member Join Date: August 2004 Location: United States Posts: 714
Dustin wrote: Just to clarify my opinion, I absolutely loved Spacey as Lex, but I'm ready for a few new villains.  Keep him in the mix, sure, but bring on Braniac, Mxyztplk, Bizarro, General Zod, and when it's time for Supes death, bring on Doomsday.

I agree... I doubt that singer will even use Mxyztplk or Bizarro tho, because, judging by the way the X-Men films were handled by him and the fact that Returns doesn't make direct mention fo the phantome zone or any really 'otherworldly', he'll probably attempt to keep it away from alternate world vilians or magic manipulators.

Of course, I could be competely wrong just as easily.

Oh, n sorry about forgetting the spoiler tags everybody. Brain fart.

4th July 2006 0:35  #27

Gabe Powers Editor Join Date: September 2004 Location: United States Posts: 4,441 Send a message via ICQ to Gabe Powers
It was a very well made film on all counts, but it had a weak plot. Basically I'd have to say that Dustin was correct in his assesment.

Way better than X3, but not good enough for me to forgive Singer for ditching the franchise he made special (not that Singer has to answer to me or anything...)

4th July 2006 23:07  #28

stanton heck Member Join Date: June 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,098
I agree with Dustin BUT I did like this MUCH Better than Batman Returns

5th July 2006 1:09  #29

Cheddar J. Cheese Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 1,492
stanton heck wrote: I agree with Dustin BUT I did like this MUCH Better than Batman Returns

"Batman Returns" is my #1 Superhero/comic book movie. Even though it may not be so much a "Batman" movie and more a Tim Burton movie, it still outdoes pretty much all of them.

5th July 2006 3:54  #30

Dustin Member Join Date: March 2006 Location: United States Posts: 553 Send a message via AIM to Dustin
Cheddar, I totally agree.  If I didn't state it in my SE review of the flick, then it's my favorite comic book flick ever.  Such fantastical gothic elements.... wonderful.
Page Number: [1] 2

Quick Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?