Cookies on DVDActive
DVDActive uses cookies to remember your actions, such as your answer in the poll. Cookies are also used by third-parties for statistics, social media and advertising. By using this website, it is assumed that you agree to this.
 
Leaderboard Extra
What movie actors movies do you avoid?

Forums - Discs & Movies - What movie actors movies do you avoid? 

Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?
Additional Options These options are not required but may be useful.
Existing Posts
Alright guys, knock it off, no insults here.
Jamie Foxx.....
Aaron Schneiderman wrote: Adrian wrote: Aaron Schneiderman wrote: Some people just can't see the forest for the trees.

I'd definitely put you in that group.


I bet it took you all of 5 seconds to come up with that response. Thank you for continuing to make me look good. Brilliant!


I doubt that you have ever been made to look good.  You make the Scientologist look reasonable.
At least his reply had some wit, I bet it's really difficult for you to type when your head is wedged up your arse.
Adrian wrote: Aaron Schneiderman wrote: Some people just can't see the forest for the trees.

I'd definitely put you in that group.


I bet it took you all of 5 seconds to come up with that response. Thank you for continuing to make me look good. Brilliant!
Adrian wrote: I'd definitely put you in that group.

lol
Aaron Schneiderman wrote: Some people just can't see the forest for the trees.

I'd definitely put you in that group.
Pauly Shore.
Aaron Schneiderman wrote: and witnessed enough of the pablum being fed to us

Pablum.

I love Aaron. He always forces me to reach for the dictionary when I read his posts. It's good to expand the vocabulary.
I was refering to the stereotypes.

One thing you have to give Matt Stone and Trey Parker is that they are equal oppertunity kind of guys, they give the left and right pretty even slatherings, depending mostly on whose in the spotlight at the moment. I actually see the South Park movie as a pretty wicked indictment of late '90s "liberal" censorship overdrive.
Gabe, I am familiar with that short-lived series. If that wasn't transparent I don't what is... As far as Democrats being portrayed as womanizers, I would respectfully have to differ with you. The media have been apologists when it comes to the excellent adventures of of Bill (Clinton) & Ted (Kennedy) the philanderers. However, God forbid a Republican be caught doing anything less than honorable when it comes to matters of the a-hem, "heart." They are merely forced to resign.
Aaron Schneiderman wrote: ...while the republicans are ignorant, scheming and venal individuals only looking for personal gain.

Well aren't they? Wink
Seriously though, Democrates are seen as laid back womanizers when it comes to sterotypes. Out of curiosity, Aaron, did you ever see Trey Parker and Matt Stone's short lived sit-com "That's My Bush"? I don't really want to discuss it's validity or anything, but it almost backs up your point, though instead of a schemer, Bush is portrayed as a sort of innocent child, Rove is the jerk of the series. I think it only lasted like 5 episodes or something, but it was actually pretty funny because they just put Bush and his family in painfully stereotypical sit-com situations.
Some people just can't see the forest for the trees.
Aaron Schneiderman wrote: stanton heck wrote: ...There is no "Left wing agenda".  In fact I can't recall every going into a movie saying "Whats are left wing movie are making now?"    

You are either a fool or incredibly naive.


Or maybe you are Aaron.  Stanton is more right than wrong here.  Hollywood cares more for money than for anything else.  If they thought they could make money off of right wing movies, they would do so in a minute.  They are still trying to find a way to duplicate the success of Passion of the Christ.  But other than that movie, you only have to look at the box office returns of other religious themed movies lately to know why they don't make more of them.

Aaron Schneiderman wrote: I have watched enough television and film over the years and witnessed enough of the pablum being fed to us that I could produce quite a long list of films or television programs that generally paint liberals or democrats as benevolent leaders while the republicans are ignorant, scheming and venal individuals only looking for personal gain.

Or maybe you read your own agenda into everything that you see.  Come on, the American President as a political statement.  You have to be kidding me.  SNL has made fun of every sitting president since it went on the air.
I have watched enough television and film over the years and witnessed enough of the pablum being fed to us that I could produce quite a long list of films or television programs that generally paint liberals or democrats as benevolent leaders while the republicans are ignorant, scheming and venal individuals only looking for personal gain.  I could point to films like "The Contender" or television dramas like "The American President," or comedy shows like "Saturday Night Live" to easily make my point. There is so much I can document that sometimes you have to realize who your audience is and how fruitless the analysis would be. You are either a fool or incredibly naive to say there is no agenda.
stanton heck wrote: ...There is no "Left wing agenda".  In fact I can't recall every going into a movie saying "Whats are left wing movie are making now?"    

You are either a fool or incredibly naive.
I think that there can be an agenda, and that Aaron was never refering to the gay cowboy movie, or any particular movie at all, he was refering more to the actions of individual actors on their own time, actions which make him want to aviod those particular actor's films. You are correct that the vast majority of Hollywood types are in it for the money, but for the most part an artist's message can make it through. Sometimes films with a message can be madeby  a bigwig lefty like George Lucas who finances his own work, or they cost a small enough ammount that a studio is willing to take a chance on the off chance that they'll get some award nominations.

I don't agree with Aaron, and think that for the most part, an artists work speaks for itself, but a great many readers seem to be misunderstanding him, which is the kind of thing that leads to arguments rather than discussion. Aaron, thank you for avoiding the political track before it got out of hand.
Aaron Schneiderman wrote: I am going to avoid going any farther down this political road. The fact is that Hollywood's political agenda has become blatantly "in-your-face." You people can do with your money what you want.

As for someone that works in Hollywood let me tell you the only "Agenda" Hollywood has is to make money. If a studio think they can make money on a gay comboy movie THEY will make it!    If Hollywood can make money on a movie about the Klan that will make that!  There is no "Left wing agenda".  In fact I can't recall every going into a movie saying "Whats are left wing movie are making now?"    
Aaron Schneiderman wrote: I am going to avoid going any farther down this political road. The fact is that Hollywood's political agenda has become blatantly "in-your-face." You people can do with your money what you want.

As for someone that works in Hollywood let me tell you theonly "Agenda" Hollywood has is to make money. If they can make money on a gay comboy movie THEY will make it!    If Hollywood can make money on a movie about the Klan that will make that!  There is no "Left wing agenda".  
Gabe Powers wrote: Ah. You know, he actually liked Brokeback Mountain.

Thanks for pointing that out Gabe. I gave up trying to understand Floyd Dylan's posts awhile ago.
Worst Nightmare wrote: Dare I say it but Anthony Anderson - a poor comic gone wrong....
He's great in The Shield though.
Anyways the actor I always avoid is Russell Crowe. I hate that fudger.
Ah. You know, he actually liked Brokeback Mountain.
Gabe Powers wrote: Who are you talking too? Did this end up in the wrong thread?

I was actually replying to Schneidermator's message.
floyd dylan wrote: What is wrong with highlighting racism, and have a film that shows two homosexuals in a positive light.

There's no political agenda in either films other than, if you talk about the two Clooney movies, or Micheal Moore documentaries then it is fair to say that those movies have a political agenda.

There have been thousands of films have been made that have highlighted homosexuality and racism way way way before Brokeback and Crash.

So trying to hurt who ever it is you are trying to hurt economically means that you are willing to turn your back on certain issues or a persons sexual preference.


Who are you talking too? Did this end up in the wrong thread?
floyd dylan wrote: What is wrong with highlighting racism, and have a film that shows two homosexuals in a positive light.

There's no political agenda in either films other than, if you talk about the two Clooney movies, or Micheal Moore documentaries then it is fair to say that those movies have a political agenda.

There have been thousands of films have been made that have highlighted homosexuality and racism way way way before Brokeback and Crash.

So trying to hurt who ever it is you are trying to hurt economically means that you are willing to turn your back on certain issues or a persons sexual preference.


well if you don't want to see political films then DON'T see films AT ALL
What is wrong with highlighting racism, and have a film that shows two homosexuals in a positive light.

There's no political agenda in either films other than, if you talk about the two Clooney movies, or Micheal Moore documentaries then it is fair to say that those movies have a political agenda.

There have been thousands of films have been made that have highlighted homosexuality and racism way way way before Brokeback and Crash.

So trying to hurt who ever it is you are trying to hurt economically means that you are willing to turn your back on certain issues or a persons sexual preference.
I am going to avoid going any farther down this political road. The fact is that Hollywood's political agenda has become blatantly "in-your-face." You people can do with your money what you want. I will try on a personal level to hurt them economically. Its the only thing those greedy b*****ds understand.
Intergalactic Ponce wrote: Thandie Newton. What's that about? I haven't seen Crash but she either got very good very fast (as an actress) since MI2 or I really missed a memo somewhere.

Newton does an admirable job here.  I don't think she will ever be mistaken for a great actress, but she can be tolerable.
Thandie Newton. What's that about? I haven't seen Crash but she either got very good very fast (as an actress) since MI2 or I really missed a memo somewhere.
Not really, he had the Gipper thing, but that was really made popular after his election, and Bedtime for Bonzo was used as a joke by his ditractors. My democrat father had a poster in his workshop of Ron hocking some kind of uncreasable collered shirt. It was hard for me to understand why the President of the United States would make this ad, but I was young and didn't grasp the idea of a President being an actor earlier in life. It was too out there for me at the time.


I wonder if dad still has that, it's probably worth something...
Gabe Powers wrote: I don't know if I'd count Reagan in that equation, he was never a popular (or good) actor.

Are you sure about the popular thing Gabe?  Granted, it was before my time, but I thought he was at least well known.
I don't know if I'd count Reagan in that equation, he was never a popular (or good) actor.

And Aaron, before you respond, and I know you will, I just want to be clear that I'm not trying to gang up on you or anything, just responding to the boards.
Aaron Schneiderman wrote: Sally Struthers? LOL Isn'ty that seeking donations for charitable purposes. What celebrities attacked Bill Clinton? PLEASE you have to do better than that to make a relevant point.

Charlton Heston.  (Which by the way, I like Charlton Heston as an actor.  I enjoy almost all of his films and was delighted when he took a bit part in Brannagh's Hamlet; however, I despise the man.)

Also, thanks Gabe.  You highlighted what I actually wanted to say.

Also, just wanted to say, isn't this a free country where anyone can speak their minds about politics?  Should we persecute people because they do not believe in the policies of the president or any other elected official?  Is this not one of the guarantees of our Constitution?

Also, you cannot dismiss celebrities like Reagan and Schwartzenegger from using their status to speak out for the right just because they are in politics.  How else would they have gotten where they were without their celebrity status!?!
Worst Nightmare wrote: Dare I say it but Anthony Anderson - a poor comic gone wrong....I can agree that his comedy sucks ass, but I think he should stick to serious roles, like Hustle and Flow.
Mel Gibson - Up his own arse

Tom Hanks - vanilla actor

Harrison Ford - Hasn't starred in a good film since Air Force One.

Hugh Grant - plays the same person in EVERY film

Any British actor/ress in period costumes or in a Richard Curtis movie.
Aaron, you kind of skipped Adrian's point again. And Arnold used his celebrity status to win the govenership, no ifs ands or buts about it. What does the argument in a public forum statement have to do with ANYTHING Adrian said. I must be missing the point of that particular statement. Personally, I can't really remember any actors speaking out against Clinton, but think that's besides the point. I happen agree with both your points and Adrian's because they have legitimate reasoning behind them. The actor's you named (with the exception of Clooney, IMHO) do tend to blow hard, but you did glaze over people like Gibson and Cruise (though Cruise seems to have been covered by others here). You are specifically angry at these particular actors because they speak out against your personal beliefs, which is very understandable. This is the relevent point Adrian was making. You can't chose a few of his off the cuff points to react to while ignoring his main point. Prove to him that you truely do despise actors that use their stature to ram political views down the public's throats, not just the ones you disagree with.

My point here is that I do my best to let artist's work speak for itself. I enjoy Cameron films, Arnold films, Willis films, Heston films, Cruise films, Gibson films, etc for what they are, not for whom the people making them are. I'm not a big fan of stachatory (sp?) rape, but think Chinatown may be one of the top 10 films of all time. I'm equally agasint vehicular manslaughter, but think The Hitcher is a great thriller. Child molustation isn't big on my list of "values", but I hated Powder becasue it was a tripe piece of lightweight trash. Despite my political leanings, I tend to avoid Tim Robbins and Sean Penn films, because I tend to think they're both overrated actors.
Dare I say it but Anthony Anderson - a poor comic gone wrong....
Sally Struthers? LOL Isn'ty that seeking donations for charitable purposes. What celebrities attacked Bill Clinton? PLEASE you have to do better than that to make a relevant point.
Aaron you missed the point.  You don't hate "actors trying to ram their point down your throat."  You despise liberal actors.  Mel Bigson has used his celebrity status to try and ram his ultra-conservative form of religion down people's throat.  Tom Cruise uses his celebrity status to spout off about Scientology.  Sally Strouthers did it to feed kids in Africa.  I am sure there are a lot more, but I tend not to care what people do with their private time.  

And I do remember quite a few celebrities spouting off about Bill Clinton during his impeachment hearings.

I really don't care what an actor does in his private life.  Actually, I have respect for anyone that actually speaks about what they feel passionate about.  You should actually respect someone like Clooney for speaking his mind, even if you don't agree with him.  He believe enough in what he has to say to risk people not liking him and ruining his career.  That takes courage, whether you want to admit it or not, especially in this day and age of the PC police.
Jonny "Me You" wrote: Tom Cruise has always seemed pretty average to me. His best performance was Born on the Fourth of July. If he didn't win awards or get his due for that, he never will. Especially not now that everyone has caught on that he's bats**t insane - that tends to throw people too much...hehehe

I would agree.  I didn't jump on the "I Hate Tom Cruise" bandwagon.  It just so happens that I think Tom Cruise manages to get a top notch supporting cast in his films.  In almost all the films he's been in I've enjoyed his supporting cast member's character moreso than his main character.  
I will say I didn't care for Cocktail, Days of Thunder, Last Samaurai though, supporting cast or not. LOL
Very boring movies to me.
I will not "pay" to see any Tom Cruise movie.  Jenifer Lopez is another.
Adrian wrote: This has to be the worse excuse in history, quite honestly.  Celebrities do use their status to advance causes they believe in.  Take it or leave it, but so does almost everyone else that can.  I'm surprised that their are no actors on there that use their status to support and agenda you agree with Aaron.  Is it just as wrong to support agendas you agree with, or only to support agendas you don't agree with.\

Name ONE Republican or Conservative actor that used their celebrity to publicly attack the policies of a sitting Democrat President or Senator or Congressman when they were in office. I am open to being corrected. Enlighten me. I could write a book with the ridiculous rhetoric that constantly spews from the uneducated left wing lips of Hollywood's elite. When you point to Ronald Reagan or Arnold Schwarzeneggar, they legitimately entered politics and were forced to debate the issues in a public forum. There is no comparison. So I beg to differ with you. The left has used boycotts to advance both positive and negative political agendas. It is high time that conservatives flexed our economic muscle and tore a page from the Democrat play book. It is time to fight the propaganda that is transmitted to our homes and projected on to the movie theater screens with our economic muscle. I choose to boycott the big mouths whenever I can. Try harder next time Adrian.
Darren Russell wrote: Oh, and Adam Sandler's movies.  Think it's a great time to bring up the South Park episode "Awesome-O".
Tom Cruise has always seemed pretty average to me. His best performance was Born on the Fourth of July. If he didn't win awards or get his due for that, he never will. Especially not now that everyone has caught on that he's bats**t insane - that tends to throw people too much...hehehe
I'd actually argue that Tom Cruise is one of Hollywood's most underrated actors. He has such a persona that people react negativly to, that his skills don't even come into question. His performance in Magnolia alone proves his abilites, he has amazing subtlety to some of his performances. I was blown away by the MI3 trailer.
May I ask what about Tom Cruise you dislike?
I ask because, I am not an avid Tom Cruise fan, but this past summer, people have started to hate him for no reason (jumping on the bandwagon so to speak) and it bothers me when people say none of his movies are good because they don't like him. "Rain Man", "Minority Report" to name a few.
I hope I don't come off as attacking and I understand everyone has different tastes in movies and actors.
Oh, and Adam Sandler's movies.  
Tom Cruise.  Haven't liked a movie any of his films other then Top Gun and A Few Good Men, and it wasn't because he was in them that I liked both. Not even War of The Worlds.  LOL
Matt, you rock.
I really respect George Clooney cause he takes the p**s out of himself all the time and people like Sean Penn can't so I respect him and he can act

and Tim Robbins is a brilliant actor same with Sean Penn but I hate him cause his bullsh!t about Team America
I tend not to avoid movies based solely on how I may feel about a particular actor's political or social agenda when they aren't in front of the camera, no matter how ignorant their beliefs may be. I watch movies to be entertained, and any actor that gives a good performance in a decent film is worth a watch. That's my opinion and about the closest thing to a political rant that you're every going to hear out of me here.
Adrian wrote:  I'm surprised that their are no actors on there that use their status to support and agenda you agree with Aaron.  Is it just as wrong to support agendas you agree with, or only to support agendas you don't agree with.

Dude! ARNOLD!! He's possibly aiming for the highest seat in the land, if that isn't using your stature as a popular actor to push your political agenda, what is? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Aaron Schneiderman wrote: There is nothing I despise more than a high school drop-out actor using their celebrity to ram their political agenda down my throat:


This has to be the worse excuse in history, quite honestly.  Celebrities do use their status to advance causes they believe in.  Take it or leave it, but so does almost everyone else that can.  I'm surprised that their are no actors on there that use their status to support and agenda you agree with Aaron.  Is it just as wrong to support agendas you agree with, or only to support agendas you don't agree with.
Jane Fonda and Jennifer Lopez.  Monster In Law was a dream come true!  I could miss them both in one movie!
It's not like they're govener (edit: governor, oops) of California or anything, right?

In all fairness, as a liberal, a lot of these guys do kind of embarass me, with the exception of George Clooney, who I think exercises restraint and carries a certain sense of dignity when it comes to his politics. Usually I don't really care about the artist's personal life, lord knows I'd never have a pleasantly frank political discussion with James Cameron or John Milius, but I still dig their work.

and for the record Barbara Streisand is one of a few "actors" that I plan on avoiding like the plague for the rest of my life.
It is a difficult task since these are talented actors and they have parts in movies I wish to see. However, I try to avoid them out of protest for their big mouths. There is nothing I despise more than a high school drop-out actor using their celebrity to ram their political agenda down my throat:

Alec Baldwin
Susan Sarandon
Janeane Garofalo
Barbra Streisand
Tim Robbins
Sean Penn
Jane Fonda
George Clooney
Susan Surrandon, Julia Roberts, Jennifer Aniston, and a few more...
Martin Lawrence, Chris Rock, Paul Walker, Vin Diesel, Lindsey Lohan, Any rapper turned actor. I swear anyone could seriously act better then everybody I just mentioned. I'm confused as to how any these so called actors get movie roles.
Intergalactic Ponce wrote: Equivalents. Damn it to the car park, Marjorie!

If you are using Firefox, there is an extension called RiteOfTongue.  You highlight a word, then right click on it and it will tell you if the word is spelled correctly or not.
Equivalents. Damn it to the car park, Marjorie!
Martin Lawrence,Martin Lawrence,Martin Lawrence
Sorry got carried away there but that guy just rubs my up the wrong way C**P ACTOR !!!!
Hi Stanton. Don't take this the wrong way but you might want to edit your post. As you've stated in the past that you're in the business, some people might jump all over the fact that the actors you mention could do with a spell check first. Unless these people are (intentionally) the equivalants of Ben Stiller's 'Tom Crooze'. If that is the case then my apologies to you Sir.
What movie actors movies do you avoid?
There are a few people who if they are in a movie I will not see!  Paul Reiser (except for ALiens) Whoppi Goldberg (Except Color Purple Sister Act and Ghost) John Claude Van-Dam, Anything new from Sylvester Stalone, If the movie stars someone that goes by one name! That tells me its a Must avoid!

NEWSLETTER

Want regular email updates? Sign up today!

COMPETITIONS

Click below for your chance to win

Competition for Win Divergent