Leaderboard Extra
What movie disapointed you?

Forums - Discs & Movies - What movie disapointed you? 

9th February 2007 23:15  #1

stanton heck Member Join Date: June 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,098
What movie disapointed you?
What movie did you not like, that was hyped not only by the Movie Studio but your friends as well.  For Example the hype around "Batman".  The studio was hyping this and my friends loved it.  When I saw it I was wondering whats the big deal?  

10th February 2007 0:11  #2

£ukasz D Member Join Date: August 2005 Location: Poland Posts: 859 Send a message via Skype to £ukasz D
if u mean "Batman Begins" i have to agree..i felt the same way.

10th February 2007 1:51  #3

Jonathan Bennett Member Join Date: March 2005 Location: United States Posts: 600 Send a message via AIM to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via MSN to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via Yahoo to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via Google to Jonathan Bennett
Batman Begins was great because it actually took the time to tell the story, rather than wasting the story with weird special effects and wacky characters. For me, The Departed was disappointing, I thought it was great when I first saw it, and while I still like it alot, I just thought it was too cool. Jack Nicholson's character was the main reason I didn't love it, he was too weird and didn't really fit well with the film's tone, he just didn't seem very menacing.

10th February 2007 2:53  #4

stanton heck Member Join Date: June 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,098
Well I am talking about BATMAN the 1989 movie.  I just thought it was okay.

10th February 2007 3:11  #5

Cheddar J. Cheese Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 1,492
stanton heck wrote: Well I am talking about BATMAN the 1989 movie.  I just thought it was okay.

I can definitely see where you're coming from. I mean, I love the movie, and I love it's sequel even more. And "Batman Begins" was brilliant. But yeah, I know what you mean. Plus you've admitted to not liking Batman in general, is it because of this or were you already like that going in (God, I make it sound like a trial don't I)? Either way, just curious.

10th February 2007 5:11  #6

stanton heck Member Join Date: June 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,098
I had no opinion on Batman at the time.  I never read a comic book and never saw the tv show. I went in thinking I would love every minute of it wheb in fact I got bored and couldn't waite til i was over

10th February 2007 10:21  #7

BoBoi Member Join Date: June 2005 Location: Australia Posts: 1,109 Send a message via MSN to BoBoi Send a message via Yahoo to BoBoi
Cheddar J. Cheese wrote: stanton heck wrote: Well I am talking about BATMAN the 1989 movie.  I just thought it was okay.

I can definitely see where you're coming from. I mean, I love the movie, and I love it's sequel even more. And "Batman Begins" was brilliant. But yeah, I know what you mean. Plus you've admitted to not liking Batman in general, is it because of this or were you already like that going in (God, I make it sound like a trial don't I)? Either way, just curious.

Agreed that Batman Begins was absolutely brilliant, for me it's tied as the best comic-book adaptation with Spidy 2. Can't wait for 'The Dark Knight', it's going to be so awesome!

Movie that disappoint me emmm...I'd say 'The Godfather Part III'. I'm not saying that it's bad or anything, however it doesn't live up to the first two movies, which were masterpieces, the third installment was fairly disappointed!

10th February 2007 19:43  #8

Darren Russell Member Join Date: June 2004 Location: United States Posts: 208
Both Batman Begins and Superman Returns were disappointing to me. Hyped up movies that didn't live up to the hype. That's just for me, though.

10th February 2007 19:58  #9

scottmck Contributor Join Date: April 2006 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 393
For me it was Erin Brockovich.  I know it's very right on, but for me it was just two hours of Julia Roberts moaning.

10th February 2007 20:48  #10

Chris Gould Editor Join Date: May 2001 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 7,108 Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gould Send a message via MSN to Chris Gould Send a message via Skype to Chris Gould
Jonathan Bennett wrote: Batman Begins was great because it actually took the time to tell the story, rather than wasting the story with weird special effects and wacky characters. For me, The Departed was disappointing, I thought it was great when I first saw it, and while I still like it alot, I just thought it was too cool. Jack Nicholson's character was the main reason I didn't love it, he was too weird and didn't really fit well with the film's tone, he just didn't seem very menacing.

Read back through what you wrote and tell me again why or what you didn't like.

10th February 2007 22:19  #11

Tigerclaw Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: Canada Posts: 493 Send a message via MSN to Tigerclaw
What movie disapointed:

Godzilla (1998)
Superman Returns (2006)

     Unfortunately, no refunds!

11th February 2007 2:21  #12

stanton heck Member Join Date: June 2005 Location: United States Posts: 1,098
One movie that was a huge disapointment was "Maverick".  I thought it would of been much funnier.  

11th February 2007 4:56  #13

Jonathan Bennett Member Join Date: March 2005 Location: United States Posts: 600 Send a message via AIM to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via MSN to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via Yahoo to Jonathan Bennett Send a message via Google to Jonathan Bennett
Chris Gould wrote: Jonathan Bennett wrote: Batman Begins was great because it actually took the time to tell the story, rather than wasting the story with weird special effects and wacky characters. For me, The Departed was disappointing, I thought it was great when I first saw it, and while I still like it alot, I just thought it was too cool. Jack Nicholson's character was the main reason I didn't love it, he was too weird and didn't really fit well with the film's tone, he just didn't seem very menacing.

Read back through what you wrote and tell me again why or what you didn't like.

I thought it was too long, didn't like the soundtrack(Rolling Stones and Dropkick Murphys, how cliche), thought it was too cool for it's own good at times, and I didn't like Jack Nicholson's character, I think DeNiro would've done a much better job. It's still a good movie, it's just an incredibly flawed one.

11th February 2007 6:08  #14

Bob "the film man" Member Join Date: August 2005 Location: United States Posts: 258
Pirates 2. It was okay, but it is no where near the quality of the first.

3rd March 2007 1:54  #15

oilgun Member Join Date: March 2007 Location: Canada Posts: 37
I was disappointed with Pan's Labyrinth.  The head fascist was so ridiculously evil that I couldn't take him seriously.

Spoiler Also I thought it was a bad idea to start off the film with a shot of the dead little girl, it kinda took away from the suspense knowing that she was going to die.

3rd March 2007 3:11  #16

Cheddar J. Cheese Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 1,492
oilgun wrote: I was disappointed with Pan's Labyrinth.  The head fascist was so ridiculously evil that I couldn't take him seriously.  

Spoiler Also I thought it was a bad idea to start off the film with a shot of the dead little girl, it kinda took away from the suspense knowing that she was going to die.






PLEASE PUT SPOILER TAGS!

3rd March 2007 18:19  #17

oilgun Member Join Date: March 2007 Location: Canada Posts: 37
Quote: PLEASE PUT SPOILER TAGS!
Hmm, I revealed the first shot of the film, how is that a spoiler?

3rd March 2007 18:28  #18

Jersey Jedi Member Join Date: August 2004 Location: United States Posts: 714
Boondock Saints. Honestly people...... why?

3rd March 2007 19:04  #19

Cheddar J. Cheese Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 1,492
oilgun wrote: Quote: PLEASE PUT SPOILER TAGS!
Hmm, I revealed the first shot of the film, how is that a spoiler?



I know the story is about a little girl, when you say "Also I thought it was a bad idea to start off the film with a shot of the dead little girl, it kinda took away from the suspense knowing that she was going to die", I kinda figure it's a spoiler...

4th March 2007 14:23  #20

Tony DeFrancisco Senior Member Join Date: July 2005 Location: United States Posts: 2,652
Jersey Jedi wrote: Boondock Saints. Honestly people...... why?Funny you say that. Troy Duffy is aquiring the rights to make Boondock Saints 2. I can't wait, I love that movie.

4th March 2007 16:00  #21

scottmck Contributor Join Date: April 2006 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 393
Jersey Jedi wrote: Boondock Saints. Honestly people...... why?

I was compelled to watch it after watching Overnight.  I can't say I was that impressed but I can understand why the Weinsteins went for it, seeing as it was probably written at the height of Tarantinomania

4th March 2007 16:53  #22

Disciple Member Join Date: April 2006 Location: Sweden Posts: 765
The Departed was a big letdown IMO. I mean it's one of the best and most intense thrillers ever, but the ending sucks!!! I haven't seen Infernal Affairs, and i guess they carried over the ending from that film to this, but ahh.... Can't stand that ending.

Spoiler:
Spoiler When the main character is shot in the head walking out of the elevator at the end, the movie totally collapses. And this was the best film of 2006 according to the Academy? Laugh

Another film i had really high expectations for that was a huge letdown was The Prestige. Here's why:

Spoiler The trailer kind of made it look like one of them was a real magician, and that wasn't the case if i didn't miss something. Kind of like The Illusionist.

4th March 2007 18:39  #23

Cheddar J. Cheese Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 1,492
Disciple wrote: The Departed was a big letdown IMO. I mean it's one of the best and most intense thrillers ever, but the ending sucks!!! I haven't seen Infernal Affairs, and i guess they carried over the ending from that film to this, but ahh.... Can't stand that ending.

Spoiler:
Spoiler When the main character is shot in the head walking out of the elevator at the end, the movie totally collapses. And this was the best film of 2006 according to the Academy? Laugh


So the last 3 minutes (out of 150) make the movie bad? I'm sorry, I just don't understand. There's nothing left to collapse. Does it really make the 2 hours and 20 minutes that had already passed a disappointment/bad?

Oh my, people won't let the Best Picture win go will they? I'm sorry, it was the best of 2006. "Little Miss Sunshine" was very, very good, and might've won had it come out when they made it and if it wasn't as successful. "Babel" is overrated. "The Queen" didn't have all that much of a chance. Haven't seen "Letters", so I can't really say why, but still, it didn't win. But really now... I guess if "Infernal Affairs" had won back in '03 it would've deserved it eh? (Well I suppose anything would be more deserving than "Chicago"...Wink) And yeah, I read that you haven't seen it, this is more of a comment to all the other naysayers.

4th March 2007 19:25  #24

Rodrigo Giust Member Join Date: September 2004 Location: Uruguay Posts: 103 Send a message via MSN to Rodrigo Giust
Quote: So the last 3 minutes (out of 150) make the movie bad? I'm sorry, I just don't understand. There's nothing left to collapse. Does it really make the 2 hours and 20 minutes that had already passed a disappointment/bad?

To each his own I guess, personally I loved the film but I think that Jerry Bruckheimer was right on the money when he said on an interview that audiences can forgive you for a bad beggining but they won't forgive you for a bad ending.

4th March 2007 19:33  #25

Cheddar J. Cheese Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 1,492
But what was bad about it exactly?

4th March 2007 21:18  #26

Rodrigo Giust Member Join Date: September 2004 Location: Uruguay Posts: 103 Send a message via MSN to Rodrigo Giust
As far as I am concerned, there was nothing bad for the ending, it didn´t ruined it for me, but I was just pointing out the fact you wrote that "How can the 3 final minutes ruin the other two hours for someone".
As I said, to each his own, but I was pointing out that a great movie could have a bad ending and ruin the entire movie for some people.
Here´s an example, I hated the final 20-15 of 28 days later... It ruined all of the movie for me.

4th March 2007 22:01  #27

Cheddar J. Cheese Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 1,492
Ah ok, understood. Happy

I kinda agree with you in regards to "28 Days Later...", but it didn't ruin it majorly for me. I'd have liked a less happy ending (the alternate one where Jim snuffs it, bringing it all full circle would've worked much better, but without showing what happened to Selena and Hannah).

4th March 2007 23:33  #28

Jersey Jedi Member Join Date: August 2004 Location: United States Posts: 714
Cheddar J. Cheese wrote: Ah ok, understood. Happy

I kinda agree with you in regards to "28 Days Later...", but it didn't ruin it majorly for me. I'd have liked a less happy ending (the alternate one where Jim snuffs it, bringing it all full circle would've worked much better, but without showing what happened to Selena and Hannah).


For me, I HATED the whole 'military base' part of the film. However, given that they had to arrive there, i kinda liked the ending they used.

Oh.. and did anyone else see the previews for SUNSHINE? Even tho the last thing most people want is another disaster movie, visually it looks f**king amazing.

4th March 2007 23:41  #29

Cheddar J. Cheese Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 1,492
A disaster movie? I think it's more like "Alien" and "2001" with a bit of "Solaris" mixed in, no?

4th March 2007 23:53  #30

Rodrigo Giust Member Join Date: September 2004 Location: Uruguay Posts: 103 Send a message via MSN to Rodrigo Giust
The main problem for me was:
Spoiler The fact that the main character turns in some kind of "Rambo" and manages (without any training!) to kill almost every military man (who were traied to kill) in the complex.
Page Number: [1] 2

Quick Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?