Cookies on DVDActive
DVDActive uses cookies to remember your actions, such as your answer in the poll. Cookies are also used by third-parties for statistics, social media and advertising. By using this website, it is assumed that you agree to this.

Leaderboard Extra
Which flick will make more $ (2008)?

Forums - Discs & Movies - Which flick will make more $ (2008)? 

21st October 2007 22:41  #1

Tigerclaw Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: Canada Posts: 493 Send a message via MSN to Tigerclaw
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

The Dark Knight

or

Star Trek

21st October 2007 23:08  #2

MrStayPuft Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: United States Posts: 146
What? Not giving Dark Knight a chance? For shame...

Forgot to answer:

Out of the two, I'd say Star Trek. Seems to have a wider fan base, with all those Trekkies and such. Also, it's been on tv longer, so it might attract an older audience.

22nd October 2007 0:23  #3

Nic Mall Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 1,202 Send a message via MSN to Nic Mall
Indiana Jones. Obviously, it's already the most anticipated movie.

Star Trek will do well, but people who don't already like Star Trek won't see it. Indiana Jones is "cooler" and yer..Im going bed now finish post late..

22nd October 2007 6:27  #4

demiscy Member Join Date: April 2006 Location: Cyprus Posts: 589
Puss in boots ?

22nd October 2007 11:05  #5

Chris Gould Editor Join Date: May 2001 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 7,123 Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gould Send a message via MSN to Chris Gould Send a message via Skype to Chris Gould
I have to ask, why does it matter?

22nd October 2007 14:00  #6

Intergalactic Ponce Member Join Date: April 2005 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 1,151
Ditto what Chris said.

Star Trek (out of that list of 3) will always come in 3rd. Trek (and sci-fi fans in general) are loud but they are a relatively small minority when it come to global cinema. Trek films have predominantly produce with very modest budgets because of this fact and the dwindling box office of recent films demonstrates why this is so. Paramount know there's only so many fans out there and only so much cash to be brought in from a new film so they're never going to mount a $200 million dollar film.

Having said that, I'm sure the new film will bring in substantially more than Nemesis or Insurrection.

As for the other 2 films mentioned I believe Indy 4 will be top earner with Dark Knight coming 2nd. The Indy audience is far wider than the comic book audience.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not disparaging the Sci-Fi or comic book crowds, (I enjoyed both Batman Begins and most Trek films) but they need to realistically recognise where they fit in the overall scheme of things, movie-wise.

Actually. I satnd corrected. Partially.

Having quickly looked at Imdb's box office top earners, apart from Titanic, the majority of them are comic book, sci-fi and fantasy films. It takes a big man to admit that he's wrong but I'm not a big man. I'm 5ft 10" but all evidence point to me being clearly wrong.

However, of those films that are the top earners, efforts to make them appeal to a broad spectrum of people are a constant.

Star Trek (so far) generally hasn't managed to find that break out appeal to those who've never watched it. People either like it or couldn't care less about it. Or Star Wars, or LOTR's or The Matrix etc.

I will now spend 30 minutes stood in the bucket of wrong. I thank you.

22nd October 2007 15:18  #7

Nic Mall Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 1,202 Send a message via MSN to Nic Mall
Intergalactic Ponce wrote: It takes a big man to admit that he's wrong but I'm not a big man. I'm 5ft 10" but all evidence point to me being clearly wrong.

Bad dum dum tshhhh

22nd October 2007 15:23  #8

Intergalactic Ponce Member Join Date: April 2005 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 1,151
Now I need the 'towel of righteousness-mess-less-ness-mess' to dry off all this wrong from my feet.

22nd October 2007 19:41  #9

Disciple Member Join Date: April 2006 Location: Sweden Posts: 766
I would have to go with The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian! I know this isn't one of your alternatives, but it will most definitely make more money than all of those. Indiana Jones might be tough, but i think it's very likely Prince Caspian will beat it. The highest grossing movie in the Indy franchise so far is Last Crusade. The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe made twice as much money as that one did worldwide. Of course; Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is highly anticipated, but will it matter? We'll see. I think once Disney kicks off their ad campaign for Prince Caspian, people will know what they're gonna spend their money on. Wink

22nd October 2007 21:18  #10

Matt Contributor Join Date: October 2004 Location: United States Posts: 2,113
Disciple wrote: The highest grossing movie in the Indy franchise so far is Last Crusade. The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe made twice as much money as that one did worldwide.Completely different time periods you're talking about when comparing Last Crusade and Narnia; you have to take into account the difference in the average ticket price between 1989 and 2005, the increased number of theaters and the fact that the worldwide marketing and distribution of movies today is a completely different and more aggressive animal than it was in 1989.

Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull will be the #1 film at the box office next year in the U.S. and worldwide, and it probably won't even be close.

Not that any of it really matters to me--it's not as if I'm going to see a dime of it.

22nd October 2007 21:34  #11

You will...but it'll be when you're handing it over for your ticket Sad

23rd October 2007 13:43  #12

Well, Matt , i respect your opinion of course and i'm well aware of the fact that those films are from different periods in time. However, i still strongly believe that Prince Caspian is gonna be huge. The look of the film is completely different from that of the more child- oriented LWW, this film is more mature and will speak to a much wider audience. Everything i've seen from the movie so far, from concept art to finished film has exceeded my highest expectations, which are set pretty high. But i'm an Indy fan as well of course and the mere fact that Shia LaBeouf's in it will make me buy a ticket. I'll buy at least two for Prince Caspian though. Wink

23rd October 2007 13:54  #13

Chris Gould Editor Join Date: May 2001 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 7,123 Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gould Send a message via MSN to Chris Gould Send a message via Skype to Chris Gould
The first Narnia film bored me to tears.

23rd October 2007 16:53  #14

Matt Contributor Join Date: October 2004 Location: United States Posts: 2,113
Didn't say the new Narnia film wouldn't be a hit, I'm sure it will be and good for those that enjoyed the first movie. I'm with Chris on it though--I was mostly bored by it and like the first one don't plan on seeing the new film in the theatre.

But anyway, back to what I was saying earlier--I wasn't basing what I said about comparing the worldwide box office numbers between Crusade and Narnia on opinion, but actual fact. Adjusting for inflation in 2005 dollars--the year Narnia was released-- Last Crusade did $793.4 million worldwide compared to Narnia's $744.8. That doesn't begin to take into account the differences in marketing or the increased number of theaters.

Yeah...I'm pretty much bored today...

23rd October 2007 19:29  #15

I know it's based on fact, it was a response to this:

Matt:  Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull will be the #1 film at the box office next year in the U.S. and worldwide, and it probably won't even be close.

23rd October 2007 20:16  #16

Tigerclaw Member Join Date: November 2005 Location: Canada Posts: 493 Send a message via MSN to Tigerclaw
I'm changing topics here but a lot of great movies are not making $ and a lot of garbage movies are making profits.  I just recently watched Eastern Promises...  great movie!  Looking forward for American Gangster.  I'm sad to see that Resident Evil Extinction made so much $.  That tells me, that most movie'goers do not care about the quality of a movie.

23rd October 2007 21:41  #17

Tony DeFrancisco Senior Member Join Date: July 2005 Location: United States Posts: 2,652
Tigerclaw wrote: I'm changing topics here but a lot of great movies are not making $ and a lot of garbage movies are making profits.  I just recently watched Eastern Promises...  great movie!  Looking forward for American Gangster.  I'm sad to see that Resident Evil Extinction made so much $.  That tells me, that most movie'goers do not care about the quality of a movie.Am I the only one that enjoyed Resident Evil 3 for what it is worth? I'm not expecting The Godfather when I think of a movie like that.

But I say asides from Indy, the only movie that I can think of that will make that much money is Iron Man.

Oh, and 1-18-08 Wink

I kidd, I kidd.

24th October 2007 1:20  #18

£ukasz D Member Join Date: August 2005 Location: Poland Posts: 859 Send a message via Skype to £ukasz D
i belive the new BOND 22 will Happy

24th October 2007 2:40  #19

Cheddar J. Cheese Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 1,492
Bond is coming out too late in the year to compete with the summer films. Its competition will be "Half-Blood Prince", and I dare say Bond will lose out to the family oriented film.

25th October 2007 21:27  #20

James Tully Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 436
Tigerclaw wrote: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
The Dark Knight
or
Star Trek

None of these 3 will be the biggest films next year.

By the time its actually released no-one will care about Star Trek. Dark Knight doesnt have an overall female interest. Indy 4 despite being hotly anticipatedwill inevitably be disappointing and word will spread quickly.

I think the biggest films will be ;-

Harry Potter
Narnia
James Bond

26th October 2007 17:33  #21

Mark Lim Member Join Date: March 2004 Location: Australia Posts: 1,211
Disciple wrote: I would have to go with The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian! I know this isn't one of your alternatives, but it will most definitely make more money than all of those. Indiana Jones might be tough, but i think it's very likely Prince Caspian will beat it. The highest grossing movie in the Indy franchise so far is Last Crusade. The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe made twice as much money as that one did worldwide. Of course; Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is highly anticipated, but will it matter? We'll see. I think once Disney kicks off their ad campaign for Prince Caspian, people will know what they're gonna spend their money on. Wink

From what I read so far, Narnia #2 won't be out till 2009. Sorry Disciple.

Back to the topic, I reckon Indy Jones will beat Batman and Star Trek.

26th October 2007 19:00  #22

Prince Caspian or "Narnia 2" as you call it will be released on the 16th of May 2008. That's next year. I'm a Narniaweb member, so you can't fool me. Wink It will most definitely do a lot of buisness.

You may be thinking of Voyage of the Dawn Treader, which is the third book and thus the third film. This will be released summer 2009.

27th October 2007 6:59  #23

takashistorm Member Join Date: May 2007 Location: United States Posts: 191
the smart money is on Saw 14. i cant wait until the blu-d doubly unrated directors cut (steelbook at best buy y'all!)

Quick Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?