Cookies on DVDActive
DVDActive uses cookies to remember your actions, such as your answer in the poll. Cookies are also used by third-parties for statistics, social media and advertising. By using this website, it is assumed that you agree to this.

Leaderboard Extra
RIP Steve Irwin 1962-2006

Forums - General Chat - RIP Steve Irwin 1962-2006 

4th September 2006 6:30  #1

Cheddar J. Cheese Member Join Date: October 2004 Location: Canada Posts: 1,492
RIP Steve Irwin 1962-2006
Steve "The Crocodile Hunter" Irwin died today in Australia while filming an underwater documentary. He was stabbed (stung) in the heart by a stingray. He was 44 years old.

I never really watched his show all that much, but what I saw was amazing. Insane, but amazing. He will be missed.

4th September 2006 10:59  #2

Chris Gould Editor Join Date: May 2001 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 7,120 Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gould Send a message via MSN to Chris Gould Send a message via Skype to Chris Gould
Aye, I just heard about this.

4th September 2006 12:49  #3

Tom Editor Join Date: May 2001 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 2,497 Send a message via ICQ to Tom
I'm finding myself surprisingly gutted about this. Been feeling miserable all morning!

4th September 2006 13:29  #4

Mal Webmaster Join Date: May 2001 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 1,290
Don't actually know of any other public figure in the same area that was as enthusiastic or as world-renowned as Irwin. Crocs and other misunderstood animals have pretty much lost their only major PR guy today...

4th September 2006 15:07  #5

Dustin Member Join Date: March 2006 Location: United States Posts: 553 Send a message via AIM to Dustin
That probably explains why this morning his Collision Course movie was a 'hot review', even though it was a steaming pile.

Shame about the accident, though. Seemed like a good guy.

4th September 2006 17:06  #6

yamiiguy Member Join Date: June 2006 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 189
He was a legend hopefully a Crocodile Hunter box set then

4th September 2006 17:34  #7

Jersey Jedi Member Join Date: August 2004 Location: United States Posts: 714
What's shocking is that Stingrays typically are extremely docile. You could lift one up out of the water and they wouldn't even sting you.

4th September 2006 18:39  #8

Intergalactic Ponce Member Join Date: April 2005 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 1,151
Well this one seems to have learnt a new trick.

It's always a tragic loss when someone who was so obviously passionate and enthusiastic about his work and life is taken unexpectedly like this. Yes you could argue that Mr Irwin was a nutter, always putting himself in harms way and that he was going to come unstuck one day so maybe this was not unexpected. I don't think there is any dispute that he knew his subject (crocs and snakes etc.) inside out and was held in high regard by his peers but it seems, in this instance, he was out of his element and extremely unfortunate.

Sympathies must go to his wife and children. What a loss.

But what a life.

R.I.P.

5th September 2006 12:50  #9

Worst Nightmare Senior Member Join Date: July 2002 Location: Australia Posts: 6,706 Send a message via AIM to Worst Nightmare Send a message via ICQ to Worst Nightmare Send a message via MSN to Worst Nightmare Send a message via Yahoo to Worst Nightmare Send a message via Google to Worst Nightmare
I went to the wldlife ark a few years ago and it was pretty good - just above average as wildlife parks go untill they gave me the oppourtunity to play with the tiger cubs! A small fee ($55 AUS) to go and play but worth it's weight in gold! They were just starting to look at having an area for the tigers so they were starting to raise cash to buy more land foe the ark for this.
He in real life is a real in-your-face guy - but what he has done about awareness of the land about you here and the coservation aspects - you can never replace it.

RIP Steve - and thanks for the cubs!

18th September 2006 16:39  #10

AdAmAs Member Join Date: February 2006 Location: United Kingdom Posts: 106 Send a message via MSN to AdAmAs
the dude owned, he was 'entertainment'

Quick Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?