Cookies on DVDActive
DVDActive uses cookies to remember your actions, such as your answer in the poll. Cookies are also used by third-parties for statistics, social media and advertising. By using this website, it is assumed that you agree to this.
 
Leaderboard Extra
What gadget do you use to listen to music?

Forums - General Chat - What gadget do you use to listen to music? 

Reply 

Message Enter the message here then press submit. The username, password and message are required. Please make the message constructive, you are fully responsible for the legality of anything you contribute. Terms & conditions apply.
Not Registered?
Forgotten Details?
Additional Options These options are not required but may be useful.
Existing Posts
Nobody has said ears yet. Mmm.

Would the brain be hard drive or flash memory then?
77MiKe77 wrote: Tony DeFrancisco wrote: I have a Dell DJ 20GB. It holds to about 9,500 songs but I only have about 300 songs on it. tony how is tht I have a 30gig ipod video nd it only holds 7500songs you need 40gigs to hold 10,000

It depends on what compression they use.  It is very possible that the compression algorithm for the Dell and Ipod are different and would account for the different amount of space to store a given number of songs.
Chris wrote: That's set off my '5.1 is just a channel configuration, not an audio format' alarm Wink

They're the settings on the disc, buddy. Blame Miramax, not me Wink
77MiKe77 wrote: Tony DeFrancisco wrote: I have a Dell DJ 20GB. It holds to about 9,500 songs but I only have about 300 songs on it. tony how is tht I have a 30gig ipod video nd it only holds 7500songs you need 40gigs to hold 10,000When I first got the Dell, the booklet said it held up to about 9,500. And that's not true either. Even if my item is discontinued from Dell (or just not put in their book catalog anymore), they also have what I think is a 30GB that holds up to about 15000.
Tony DeFrancisco wrote: I have a Dell DJ 20GB. It holds to about 9,500 songs but I only have about 300 songs on it. tony how is tht I have a 30gig ipod video nd it only holds 7500songs you need 40gigs to hold 10,000
Mal
Does the alarm produce 5.1 or DTS?
scottmck wrote: The opening has a lot more depth in DTS so I always switch it back if I've forgotten to change the setting from 5.1.

That's set off my '5.1 is just a channel configuration, not an audio format' alarm Wink
iRiver H10 5gb. The best there is!
20Gb ipod normally, plus I have a nano for the gym or if I'm out somewhere and not driving. Also have a Pioneer kit for my car so I can listen to either in the car and control them via the head unit.
When using my Laptop at work I use www.pandora.com which is ace.
IPOD !!!!
i use my lapton. ibook
Gabe Powers wrote: The problem here is that I'd rather claw my eyes out than watch Made. Wink

Blasphemy! Wink
scottmck wrote: I can always tell the diference with Made (Jon Favreau/Vince Vaughan movie).  The opening has a lot more depth in DTS so I always switch it back if I've forgotten to change the setting from 5.1.

The problem here is that I'd rather claw my eyes out than watch Made. Wink
Gabe,

I agree with you on there not being much difference between an equally mixed DTS and DD5.1 track, mainly because most DTS tracks aren't fully maxed out bit rates.  (I won't call them halfrate because that will make Chris angry.  Happy)  If you want to see a true difference, seek out on of the disc that only has DTS (and dolby 2.0) on it, such as Apollo 13 DTS.
Gabe, what sound system did you get?
Why don't you try The Fifth Element and see how you go. On a really good system, you may find a difference as I did...
I got myself an Ipod 60 gig video last year.
I dont watch videos on it but what swung the purchase for me was the extensive battery life (14hrs I think) the ability to put every Cd I own on Once and listen to anything I want to whenever I want to.
Since then I discovered the podcast and have been listening to those most of the time  Oh Well.
I can always tell the diference with Made (Jon Favreau/Vince Vaughan movie).  The opening has a lot more depth in DTS so I always switch it back if I've forgotten to change the setting from 5.1.
Well, this is coming from the guy whose been reviewing dvds for over a year now and still thinks the differnece between DTS and DD is a lie. I just got a brand new sound system this weekend and sat there trying to notice any spike in actual quality over simple volume, and I just don't hear it. Anyone know of any DVDs I may own with both DTS and DD options that reveal a great difference? I'm talking 5.1 here, not EX VS ES, I can tell the difference there.
Gabe,

I have tried that.  I can tell the difference even on an ordinary car stereo of a CD and a CD made of ripped MP3.  If you sample the MP3 at a high enough rate, the difference isn't that great, but still noticeable.  However, you lose the main advantage of the MP3 and that is size.  It also depends on what you listen to the MP3 on.  I'm sure there is virtually no difference on a set of headphones, unless they are the $1000 variety.  However, on anything that amplifies the sound before sending it to the speakers, the difference is quite noticeable, especially on heavily compressed MP3.  I guarantee that you would notice the difference with my speakers in my house.  I can usually tell the difference even with very poor computer speakers.  There is just something lacking from the MP3.  Knowing a little bit about how compression works, it looks to me like the MP3 algorithm cuts both from the extreme high end and the extreme low end.  To me, the MP3's lose their "warmth".

It is much like choosing speakers though, Gabe.  Everyone has their preferences.  I would never advise anyone to a particular pair of speakers because everyone has their own choice and their own idea of what is important.  I love my Acoustic Researches, but not everyone else would.

One of my friends gave me a CD before it was released.  You could tell that its source was originally MP3 because it sounded flat.  I was glad when I bought the actual CD because it sounded so much better.

I like the thought of MP3 players and their capacity for exactly the reasons that you state.  However, I keep waiting for some better encoding, say like FLAC, to take off.  The problem is that they are roughly equivalent in size to the CD tracks.  However, you can convert a CD to FLAC and then the FLAC back to a CD with no noticeable loss of fidelity.
Quote: the only other time I listen to music is in the car.

Agreed.  The iPod+iTrip is better for me than a CD changer in the boot of the car and all this new fangled technology lets us in the UK listen to the Ebert and Roeper reviews as well.
I carry a 300 GB USB drive from home to work...don't really have a need for a portable player really, though with spring here I might pick up an iPod to use while doing yard work this year.
Have you compared directly Adrian? I'm willing to bet you couldn't tell the difference in a blind test between a good MP3 (one taken from the source while not running a billion other things on  computer) and a straight CD track. I prefer MP3 because I have to where headphones at work and the only other time I listen to music is in the car. My iPod holds a lot of music for my short attention span without the 'effort' of changing CDs, or for that matter carrying around 300 songs worth. I like cutting from The Rolling Stones, to Rancid, to Prince, to Morricone, to Static X, to The Dresden Dolls, to Bowie, to Public Enemy, and back again in one sitting.
Well, at least I am not alone.  I don't get the whole MP3.  Never have.  I guess they sound alright over headphones, but personally, I don't like wearing headphones.  I have a stereo at work.  I have huge Acoustic Research speakers at home.  MP3 just doesn't contain the fidelity for real speakers.
cd player and a transistor radio....

I am getting old...

but soon a new entertainment pc I am building with all my 600+ cd's thrown on the hard-drive!
I've got a Nano 'cos it was the cheapest. I'm cheap. It works pretty well, but the 'random' function is pretty weak. 300 songs and it always chooses the same 30.
I have a Dell DJ 20GB. It holds to about 9,500 songs but I only have about 300 songs on it.
Hi.  I'm new to the site.

I got myself an iPod nano when they came out.  I'd been using a standard cheapo MP3 player until then but I think the nano is a million times better.  The user interface is a work of genius and the integration with iTunes is excellent.  I know you have to buy the music via iTunes but the ease of use is a fair trade-off with being locked in.

Just got myself a PSP for watching movies on the plane this summer as well.  No in-flight Ab Fab and Only Fools and Horses for me!
Mal
What gadget do you use to listen to music?
Simple question, what gadget do you use to listen to music? Why did you choose it? Have you used others in the past and liked/disliked them?