Monsters University (US - DVD R1 | BD RA)
Disney has sent over some early news and art for this Pixar-made prequel...
Starring: John Goodman
Released: 29th October 2013
Disney and Pixar will be releasing
Monsters Universitythis October on 4-Disc Blu-ray 3-D Superset (3D/2BD/DVD/Digital Copy), 3-disc Blu-ray 2-D Superset (2BD/DVD/Digital Copy), 3-Disc Blu-ray 2-D Combo Pack (2 BD/DVD), and, presumably, standard definition DVD (though there is no official news on that particular point).
All Blu-ray releases will include:
- 1080p, 1.78:1 video.
- Dolby TrueHD 7.1 English, DVS 2.0 English, Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 French, and Dolby Digital 5.1 Spanish audio.
- English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles.
- Campus Life – What's it like being on a production crew at Pixar? Get a look at a day in the life of the
Monsters Universitycrew through their own eyes.
- Story School – This documentary examines the challenges of creating a prequel as well as themes that run through the story, and the change in focus from Sulley to Mike. We'll also look at how gags are developed – from writing jokes to brainstorming a million ideas, only 5% of which actually end up in the movie.
- Scare Games – At Pixar, we play hard while we work. The same people who keep the film production moving - producers, managers, coordinators and artists - are also the ones who bring spirit and excitement to some of our extracurricular activities. We check out the
Monsters Universityproduction teams as they go head to head in the mostly playful Pixar Scare Games competitions.
- Welcome to MU – Sets aren't just buildings, they are the worlds our characters live in and explore. This look at the Monsters University campus and its development is told from the perspective of the artists who created each piece of the campus from the architecture to the ivy leaves.
- Music Appreciation – Randy Newman's scores are a mainstay of Pixar films, and this documentary will give you a privileged look at his creative process. We follow the
Monsters Universityscoring process from spotting to writing and on to the scoring session. including special college-themed recording sessions.
- Scare Tactics – Animators are actors who digitally bring the characters to life. In this look at how the
Monsters Universityanimation team worked, you’ll see their process of how they channeled their own monster-selves and created moments on screen that were really funny, really scary and also really serious, sometimes all at the same time.
- Color and Light – How can a single painting set the tone for an entire scene? We'll look at the creation of the colorscripts and how they were realized technically in the final film. Along with the process, this piece explores the many layers of technical innovation required to produce such a naturalistic feel.
- Paths to Pixar: MU Edition – When one door closes, sometimes another door opens – one with an even more exciting opportunity behind it. Members of the
Monsters Universitycrew tell their own compelling backstories and share the challenges they overcame along their paths to Pixar.
- Furry Monsters: A Technical Retrospective – Explore the difficulties in creating characters that are 20 years younger with tools that are 10 years more advanced in this contrasting look at the differing technical challenges that arose when making Monsters, Inc., and
- Deleted Scenes – Four separate scenes – “Rivalry,” “Recon,” “Movie Night,” and “Drama Class” - are highlighted with an introduction from director Dan Scanlon.
- The Blue Umbrella – This animated short film from Pixar Animation Studios, directed by Saschka Unseld and produced by Marc Greenberg, played in theaters in front of
Monsters University. The Blue Umbrella tells the story of an evening commute in which the rain starts to fall and the city comes alive to the sound of dripping rain pipes, whistling awnings and gurgling gutters. And in the midst, two umbrellas – one blue, one not – fall eternally in love.
- Additional Bonus Features - Audio Commentary, Promo Picks, College Campaign, Theatrical Campaign, Set Flythroughs, Art Gallery and more!
Quote: Ever since college-bound Mike Wazowski (voice of Billy Crystal) was a little monster, he has dreamed of becoming a Scarer—and he knows better than anyone that the best Scarers come from Monsters University (MU). But during his first semester at MU, Mike's plans are derailed when he crosses paths with hotshot James P. Sullivan, "Sulley" (voice of John Goodman), a natural-born Scarer. The pair's out-of-control competitive spirit gets them both kicked out of the University's elite Scare Program. To make matters worse, they realize they will have to work together, along with an odd bunch of misfit monsters, if they ever hope to make things right. “Monsters University” bravely explores themes of self-discovery and the revelations that come with growing up.
News by Gabriel Powers
Follow our updates
OTHER INTERESTING STUFF
Love US - DVD R1 | BD RA The Walk US - DVD R1 | BD RA Hotel Transylvania 2 US - DVD R1 | BD RA Sinister 2 US - DVD R1 | BD RA Bone Tomahawk US - DVD R1 | BD RA
Angel: The Vampire Anthology - Cordelia UK - DVD R2 Two Evil Eyes US - BD I'm a Cyborg UK - BD Kingdom, The US - BD RA Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Diamond Edition US - BD RA
Star Wars: The Changes - Part One DVD | BD Star Wars: The Changes - Part Three DVD Star Wars: The Changes - Part Two DVD Old Films on Blu-ray: Are They Worth It? BD Star Wars: The Changes - Part Four DVD
Most Talked About
Criterion January Releases US - DVD R1 | BD RA Pan US - DVD R1 | BD RA Terminator Genisys US - BD RA The Visit US - DVD R1 | BD RA Love US - DVD R1 | BD RA